Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty sure I did not pay for the MSD card back in 98/99. Probably because PADI was slightly less commercial then! And PADI should have listed the 5 specialities that I have completed on the card otherwise nobody would know what I had spent the money on!!
The batch and the cert should be in the closet somewhere.

I am pretty sure I did not pay for the MSD card back in 98/99. Probably because PADI was slightly less commercial then! And PADI should have listed the 5 specialities that I have completed on the card otherwise nobody would know what I had spent the money on!!

Were you in Hong Kong then? I believe (could be wrong) that PADI Asia does not charge for the card.

It also could depend on the instructor. Mine gives away the AWARE diver cert and cards to anyone who comes to a cleanup event and takes the class. So it could be you have a shop that gives away the cert to anyone who took the classes anyway.

It also could depend on the instructor. Mine gives away the AWARE diver cert and cards to anyone who comes to a cleanup event and takes the class. So it could be you have a shop that gives away the cert to anyone who took the classes anyway.

Personally, if I were a dive shop owner, I would use that as an incentive. I imagine there must be some who do it.

Were you in Hong Kong then? I believe (could be wrong) that PADI Asia does not charge for the card.
I completed 4 of the courses from the same dive shop in Philippines and the remaining one in Sipadan.
And I applied the card through that particular dive shop in Philippines.

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 06:02 PM ----------

You could be right but I doubt it.

Hi guys,

I'm 3 specialties away to get my master scuba diver certification :cool2:,
I've read through the forums and read that it's kind of useless to do it, Unfortunately I'm one of them guys that like to get the certification cards :).

So my question is,

When I get my master scuba diver certification what will I get? apparently, you get a goodie-bag what exactly is inside it ?? and how much will it cost for the certification?

Regards
Rene Doempke,
15 Year Old Diver :)

Rene,

I prefer to think of the Master Scuba Diver rating as a challenge. It is the journey to the finish line that is what is important. Five Specialties where you learn advanced skills beyond your Open Water and AOW certs. Then there is Rescue Diver; for me this was one of the most fun and most personally challenging courses I took up to that time. I am sure that at 15 I would probably be fascinated with collecting cert cards too; I know I collected everything else. But as you mature in your diving career, I am sure you will find more joy in the dive itself.

Right now I congratulate you!!! For a diver your age you have already accomplished things that most everyone on Scubaboard wish they had the opportunity to do and that is to start diving as a teenager.

If you choose to pursue the MSD than good for you, do it for your enjoyment. If you decide not to, then good for you too; keep diving and expanding your knowledge and experience base.

Good luck and happy bubbles,

~Oldbear~

Well the three of just need to send in the forms and credit card # and we will get our MSD cards. We aren't thrilled to have to pay but it's nice to have a card that shows the 3 year journey our family has undertaken. My son is 13 and got certified not long after his 10th birthday. We will show them proudly when we have to present them to dive shops on our travels.

ScubaBoard is not wholly representative of the recreational dive community, I've yet to see a BP/W in the field and I've seen other divers who tattoed "Master Scuba Diver" with the date they got their MSD on themselves. To them it obviously meant a lot. A version of reality on ScubaBoard isn't the one in the found in the real world. Somewhere perhaps, but it's a minority.

So it was a 3 day weekend and we were cleaning gear on day 3 and I had lent some of my wife's pink AL80s to one of my buddies.Over comes my neighbor to make a wisecrack about the tanks,now everyone on the boat has from 1500 to 5000+ dives and one is a trimix instructor who cave dives on a rebreather we built in his garage so we are merely amused...he goes on to describe himself as a "master diver".I know the real USN Master Diver locally at the Naval Station from spearfishing but we play this clown out.We ask him all his certs and where and how long it took to achieve this milestone.As we had about finished cleaning it was time to release him.I ask"I did not know you were in the Navy,do you know ____ ____ the local USN Master diver?"As he of course does not and flusters I tell him"See those pink tanks over there,they belong to my wife.She dove a dozen specialties,actually rescued another diver and dove 100 dives.....last month.If I were you I would not go around bragging to people who you don't know.They may just rub your nose in it"

Experiences like this are why I am glad to have my own boat and compressor or am the captain of a commercial boat when I do dive.Same has happened with some DMs and Instructors with little real world ability outside their little world,I judge people on competency and lack of drama.I'd rather have total novices on the boat willing to learn that "merit badge" heroes.

I am beginning to think this thread was created by a troll.

1 Post, where has the OP been for the last three weeks...in time out?

A Detailed Profile where he exclaims he wants to become an IDC instructor; at 15 if you even know what an IDC Instructor is why not aim to be a Course Director? The profile is a little too detailed for me to believe your typical teenager took the time create with such good and detailed grammar, then in the original post to rush the English syntax.

Set his Status proclaiming he is a "Young boy." When I was fifteen alls that I dreamed about was turning 16 and getting that freedom with a drivers license (even though I did not have a car). The last thing I would want to call myself is "boy", yet alone a "young boy". How many teenagers use the self describing phrase "young boy."

What better subject than PADI's Master Scuba Diver program to get all of the usual SBer fired up?

I think some computer nerd is yukking it up right now when they read this thread. :hm:

I am out of here. :wavey:

Last edited:
Maybe. There was a guy on one of the Clarinet forums username Phil McCreavis. He wrote some interesting things. Could've been some kid, or some top pro out for a good time. No way to prove either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom