Maybe hanging the fins up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear you've decided to stick with it, Marie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Go @Marie13 ! Like everything else we do in life, adapt and improvise your way through it. I have little doubt you will get back out this summer. Keep on inspiring us.

Last PT session is Monday. First Lake Michigan dive is Sunday the 20th. Regular buddy is going with me. I even covered his seat because I wanted there to be 4 on the boat for sure (needs 4 to go out) and someone on the boat who knows what’s up with my leg.

And 2 charters Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

I’m back in the pool every other day - up to half a mile now.m

And plenty of quarry dives on non-Lake days

Last PT session is Monday. First Lake Michigan dive is Sunday the 20th. Regular buddy is going with me. I even covered his seat because I wanted there to be 4 on the boat for sure (needs 4 to go out) and someone on the boat who knows what’s up with my leg.

And 2 charters Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

I’m back in the pool every other day - up to half a mile now.m

And plenty of quarry dives on non-Lake days
See what we all said - getting better bit by bit.:thumb:

Lake Michigan charters yesterday blown out -4 ft waves on the Great Lakes make for bad chop.Went to the quarry instead. Walked in and out of the water with tank on my back for the first time. 5ft viz made for good nav practice.

Marie13:
Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be hanging up my fins permanently.!

What happened!?

D4F631E3-6F11-4EB6-AE5D-ABB9D1E105B2.jpeg
Well, 4 Lake Michigan dives on 2 charters yesterday, and I’ve discovered I can climb the ladder in full gear. The key is that I have to lead with my right leg, which is the stronger one. I didn’t think about doing that on the first one and it was a cluster! LOL.

I do need pulls on my tank valve for the last 2 steps and onto the swim platform, but I needed that last year, anyway.

Coldest yesterday was 43F at 66ft. I discovered people are either really impressed or think you’re freaking nuts to dive those temps wet. I had left my Lavacore hooded vest at home, as well as my Surf-fur coat. Air temps were in the low 90s. But it would have been very nice to have them. I’ll take them next weekend.

The viz and conditions made the cold worth it. 40-50ft viz. Lake was like glass in the morning with 1ft waves in the morning. Got some awesome pics.

gH93885aQb+FFQDcvuNEcg.jpg
PICT0199.JPG

First pic is Lake Michigan as glass. It was awesome. Second pic is some of the deadeyes on the railing of the Wells Burt. 10 were stolen from the wreck several years after it was discovered in the late 80s. The remaining ones were chained to the wreck.

Last edited:
Good to hear you are still diving (just with a few changes).

I do think you are mad diving wet @ 43F (6C for the civilised). I did 8C wet last year and could barely feel my toes and fingers when I got out (and I did have a hood on).

Good to hear you are still diving (just with a few changes).

I do think you are mad diving wet @ 43F (6C for the civilised). I did 8C wet last year and could barely feel my toes and fingers when I got out (and I did have a hood on).

There was a gal on yesterday afternoon's charter. Tech diver from somewhere down south with warm water, hundreds of dives, trilam drysuit, doubles. This was her first time diving the Great Lakes. She didn't have sufficient undergarments. I had double her dive time on the 43F and 45F temp wrecks, and I was diving wet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom