Maybe hanging the fins up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving double 104s a few years after a spinal fusion. I got back in the caves a few months after a total knee replacement. Common denominator? Time... and desire.

I want my GL wrecks!

Sounds like you have desire taken care of :wink:... now there is the small matter of time. Maybe more time than preferred, but enough time should get you there.

I want my GL wrecks!

Quarry diving is one thing. But can I climb a boat ladder?
Baby steps means baby steps. Celebrate what you can do.

Marie,

In October, running to a diver's first aid class..., I stumbled and fractured my kneecap putting me in bed, surgery, cast, and crutches, while that leg's strength atrophied so the ligaments would heal. The surgeon did a great job; my bone and ligaments are healed, and I have full range of motion. But that leg is still weak. A boat in calm water shucking the gear, or a pier ladder geared up, using my strong leg, I can do.

But I live by the sea, with surf. I dove a cove we use with a dead calm sea, 3 inch breaking 'waves'. Walking out, I put my reg in for caution and needed to step sideways to get over the tiny sand ridge those waves had created. I can beach dive in a 'pond' like that. But I have a ways to go to get back in the water here under normal conditions. I need to get to the gym regularly to build up more strength, which I'm doing. But it will be a while yet.

Hang in there. Enjoy the dives you can. I'm glad you got back in the water. Maybe work on your side mount skills while you work up to the lake.

Quarry diving is one thing. But can I climb a boat ladder?
Maybe not fully laden with gear atm but I bet most boat ops will, if you explain your issues, help you by taking your gear off you.

Knowing how determined you are, I bet you will be kicking the ass out of the ladders in 6 months time and wondering why you were worried. Do the PT, take it in small steps and allow time for the body to heal. You might surprise yourself.

@Marie13
I think one of the hardest things when I got back into it, was to watch girls unload my truck and carry my gear because I wasn't' allowed too - I became the master of donning and doffing gear in the water though.

I have no problems with people schlepping my gear. It's the part of diving I despise!

Checked with my dive op and was told none of the captains have issues with divers handing up their BC and climbing ladder without it. I wasn’t sure - this isn’t valet diving in tropical waters. Great Lakes dive boats often do not put someone in the water with you. I’m happy. Boat diving, here I come!

Excellent news!

I might,depending on the level of service, be tempted to reward their extra help with a bigger tip or some other "reward" like cakes/muffins/ 6 pack of beer/bottle of spirits to share.

Excellent news!

I might,depending on the level of service, be tempted to reward their extra help with a bigger tip or some other "reward" like cakes/muffins/ 6 pack of beer/bottle of spirits to share.

Oh, I will most certainly tip more than I would otherwise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom