Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you should quote some of the exact language that "specifically says weight and being in good shape are primary factors" as well as the references to being old on the medical form so we can see how people are getting aay with lying about it.
Of course, he can't do that. The form only says "good physical and mental health" and then lists some possible situations that require a doctor's approval:
  • Over 45 AND smoke, or high cholesterol, or high blood pressure, or close blood relative with heart problems (NOTE: age itself is not an issue)
  • Lung problems
  • Eye or ear problems
  • Surgery in the last 12 months
  • neurologic issues
  • psychological issues
  • back, hernia, ulcers, diabetes, stomach/intestine problems
  • prescription meds
AND, one more, the BIG one:​
  • struggle to perform moderate exercise (e.g. walk 1 mile in 14 minutes, swim 200 yards without resting)
So, age itself is NOT the issue, and the big item is physical fitness....note that obesity is NOT on the list anywhere, but some of the possible consequences of obesity are.

And, if the doctor approves your form, you are good to go, "old" or not, "fat" or not.

The obvious thing on the form that one can't lie about is their age.

Also note, the form is intended for those who are going to undertake formal scuba training; it is not intended for general use, although some dive operators use it that way.

Rats. I was hoping to get him to say it himself.
That would have involved being careful with details....
Sorry.

Understandable. On the other hand, us chubby folks are often encouraged to 'get out and be more active,' to find some activity we like to do, and water activities are often easy on the joints. Scuba diving is usually not all that physically demanding.

Yes, 'something' could happen (and sometimes does), but that's true making a trip to Walmart.

Good physical fitness proponents can preach till their lower jaws fall off about the wonders of healthy diet and exercise, and how everyone should get down to a healthy weight and have good cardio., but it's abundantly (I'd say glaringly) clear that with a whole lot of Americans, that ain't gonna happen.

And those people don't all choose to live life 'in a bubble' on the grounds they might have a heart attack. Someday they'll die, in the meantime they'll live. Or at least I think that's how some think.

Richard.

Good activity levels are associated with better health outcomes *regardless* of weight. So if someone larger is getting out and being active and doing things, they may well be in quite good shape in terms of things like blood pressure, etc. which are generally considered markers for things like heart attack and stroke. They may, in fact, actually be in better shape than the slim person they are sitting next to who doesn't get out at all except to go diving once a year, because they are more conscious of the need to maintain physical fitness and stay active. You can't tell by looking.

Nice to see the forms are up-to-date.

Example: "If you ever had covid" then you must get a $1000 medical assessment which is utterly meaningless.

All for the sake of arse covering. Jeez.

Or just write an alternative truth.

Nice to see the forms are up-to-date.

Example: "If you ever had covid" then you must get a $1000 medical assessment which is utterly meaningless.

All for the sake of arse covering. Jeez.

Or just write an alternative truth.
I don't think the most updated forms do say that. At least for PADI and UK Diving Medical Committee.

I don't think the most updated forms do say that. At least for PADI and UK Diving Medical Committee.
Seems to be more of a US thing. Definitely saw this in a form recently

Seems to be more of a US thing.
CYA Culture in case you get sued, can't be good really for anyone wanting to be an instructor.
While I am not a doctor, my father is a surgeon and routinely says that once a person hits 60, their list of medication typically expounds greatly unless they are very fit
Perhaps that's true where you live. In my personal experience and in my circle of friends most of whom dive, I don't believe that to be the case.

Seems to be more of a US thing. Definitely saw this in a form recently
Oh yes, there was definitely at least one past version of the form in 2020 that had it. But they have been proactive at keeping the form up-to-date as it became clearer what the risk from COVID actually is. Presumably also down to pragmatism, because as you said, the bottom would fall out the scuba market pretty quickly if every single diver needed a CT scan to progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom