Medium-short hair woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hair is too short for the front section barrettes. I looked at the Dee-rags online. They look pretty similar to a bandanna. I'm assuming that would work close to as well. Also, what kind/brand of beanies do you ladies wear?

rachelscott51:
I looked at the Dee-rags online. They look pretty similar to a bandanna. I'm assuming that would work close to as well.

They are totally different from a bandanna. They are made from at least 4 or 5 different pieces of fabric that are sewn together to form somewhat of a cap. When tied correctly, they are snug and stay on. While I have never worn a bandanna, I doubt they would do nearly as well.

rachelscott51:
My hair is too short for the front section barrettes. I looked at the Dee-rags online. They look pretty similar to a bandanna. I'm assuming that would work close to as well. Also, what kind/brand of beanies do you ladies wear?

I have waist length hair with bangs that are in that growing out stage and are about chin length. Just long enough to NOT fit in a braid.
I use the Doo-Rags. I have several different colors and patterns to match or not match the bathing suit I'm wearing.
I even put a small button hole in the top to let air escape.
Hint: If your hair is long enough, put it in a braid or a pony tail and then tie the doo-rag under the braid or pony tail and then loop it around and tie it again on top of the braid or pony tail. That way if it does come off for some reason, it's tied to your braid or pony tail and it won't float off.
Doo-rags take a few dives to get used to, but are totally worth it to not have those floaties in your face.
Also, wet the doo-rag first as it will stretch a little when it gets wet (like your tank band) and then put it on.

Scuba Diva

One of my dive buddies uses one of those stretchy lycra headbands - amazingly, it stays in place the entire dive.

I use a lycra hood in the summer just to keep my hair back. It certainly doesn't offer any sort of thermal protection, and it's really lightweight so I don't notice it at all. In the winter I'll use a regular neoprene hooded vest.

pmarc68:
I'm with you FreeFloat, hack it off. That's what I did, and I have never been happier. There are some great short cuts out there that are quite feminine.

Pam
I chopped all my hair from past my shoulder blades to alssaya milano in charmed last year and donated it to Locks of love

I have horrible hassles with my hair- its been long short and in-between, but it is always in the way. I treid one of the lycra hoods, but it bothered my throat- then a little beanie- it didn't stay put and shifted my mask- finally I wear a lycra head band- cheap and cheerful, and grip it in with hair pins at the side (although they rust after more than one trip!)
it has worked great and doesn't interfere with my mask. The only problem is I look Ok onthe surface, but under the water in Photos I look like I have my fingers in a socket- the front of the hair stays put and out of my mask, but the back spreads out like a sea fan....maybe that is what I was in a former life.....

munkispank:
I have horrible hassles with my hair- its been long short and in-between, but it is always in the way. I treid one of the lycra hoods, but it bothered my throat- then a little beanie- it didn't stay put and shifted my mask- finally I wear a lycra head band- cheap and cheerful, and grip it in with hair pins at the side (although they rust after more than one trip!)

Do you use simple bobby pins or something else? Also, most of the headbands I've worn (topside only) are cotton. Is the one you wear just partially lycra? This sounds good as I don't like the chin strap either.

In addition to a Dee rag, which is great :D, a friend of mine uses a simple nylon/rubber bathing cap, works for her

justleesa:
In addition to a Dee rag, which is great :D, a friend of mine uses a simple nylon/rubber bathing cap, works for her

I have a hard time with these, getting them on & off because they just stick to my hair. I found one that is lycra, soft & stretchy that of course doesn't keep my hair dry but it does keep it out of my face plus meets the requirements for the pool due to my hair length. The one I bought is black and not particularly obvious or ugly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom