Metric measurements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even English/standard units there are differences. A gallon? US or imperial. (hint: American cars get lower MPG because the gallon is smaller). Pipe thread, 1/8" pipe thread should be simple enough. No, there is NPT (National Pipe Thread) and BPT (British Pipe Thread). difference is 1 thread per inch. And most of the world runs BPT. Japanese cars will have BPT threads on them to this day.

Don't the Japanese also drive on the same side of the road as Brits? (Handy for having the whip hand.)

Pipe thread, 1/8" pipe thread should be simple enough. No, there is NPT (National Pipe Thread) and BPT (British Pipe Thread). difference is 1 thread per inch.

And don't forget NPS, used for US tank valves.

So it's even more confusing without bringing in metric

BSPT -British Standard Pipe Taper
BSPP -British Standard Pipe Parallel
NPT -National Pipe Taper
NPS -National Pipe Straight

Actually I enjoy cultural differences, and they are going away as the franchise world takes over. I wonder what a franchise pipe thread would look like, and if it would work properly.

Bob

All well and good apart from wiring harnesses which transitioned between the two. So we had this madness where the nuts and bolts on the engine would be 5/16 on the fuselage they'd be 9mm and where there was a transition you would have a 5/16 bolt and a 9mm nut but the thread was something strange as a normal 9mm or 5/16 nut wouldn't fit. There'd only be 3 or 4 of these special nut/bolts per engine.

I'm told when Japanese converted they cut metric threads on their fastener blanks and there were a few cars out there with some or all bolts like those. To great amusement of Ozzie gearheads.

Well, shipbuilding abandoned cubits after Noah's extravaganza! I bet people argued about it! My parents measured their own weight in stones. The UK ran out of stones so went over to kg. I'm 90kg and 1.92m tall but I converted that to 6'4" to keep up with John Wayne.
I am not sure that all of us ran out of stones John.

I am not sure that all of us ran out of stones John.

I've got a couple of stones I could do with shifting if I'm going to fit into my Red Sea wetsuit in a few weeks. Any offers?

Don't the Japanese also drive on the same side of the road as Brits?
Yep. They, too, are weird that way.

They also have two separate power grids. Both deliver 110V to the consumer, but one operates at 50Hz and the other operates at 60Hz. Which is why only the Eastern part of Japan had a power shortage after the 2011 tsunami took out some nuclear reactors on the east coast.

</hijack>

I think there are several other places in the world that drive on the left. Interestingly, I believe the UK still uses miles, though I think that was supposed to change 25 years ago? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there are several other places in the world that drive on the left.
A rather moderate amount, globally speaking. Basically, it's the UK, the Indian subcontinent and Australasia. IOW, former British colonies. Plus Japan and a few latin American countries.

800px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg.png

File:Countries driving on the left or right.svg - Wikipedia

I think there are several other places in the world that drive on the left. Interestingly, I believe the UK still uses miles, though I think that was supposed to change 25 years ago? Correct me if I'm wrong.
yes miles are used there. Was pretty shocked when it turned out on the road when walking with all our bags etc. that the hotel was NOT within walking distance because we thought the sign indicated kilometers but it was actually miles and the distance was, ehm, a little bit longer than expected :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom