Mexican Swine Flu (H1N1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, but my folks, who are also going, are 66 and 60 years old. The problem is really the airplane, where the air is not clean, it just circulates, even worse.

you would have to weigh your options based on your yours and your parents current medcal status on wether or not you or they can effectively fight off the virus without major complications. my wife and i feel we can and based on that have decided to continue with our trip on may 10th. only you and your parents can answer that. if you feel you have to reschedule do it and don't feel bad it's y'alls health. didn't mean to sound sarcastic or anything else in my earlier post.

Look what they are saying now.

U.S., Mexico Express Cautious Optimism on Flu Virus

After a week of alarming reports of a new strain of swine flu and the likelihood of a pandemic, Obama administration officials today said there are indications that the influenza will not prove to be as lethal as initially feared, and said there is no reason for healthy people to avoid traveling or to wear protective masks.

"We're seeing encouraging signs that this virus so far is not looking more severe than a strain that we would see in seasonal flu," said Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on "Fox News Sunday."

washingtonpost.com

Unfortunately the damage is done in this area. I've heard of at least 5 major all-inclusive resorts that have closed for the month, I'm sure there are tons more. With so many flights cancelled its not gonna be easy to win back the trust of travellers. I vote for a sponsored celebrity vacation to Mexico to ease fears and kick start our local economy!!!

I am due to be heading to PDC next Friday and I am considering cancelling my trip as we speak. Looking up the travel insurance right now.

I was really looking forward to it, but now I'm worried and I don't want to be a guinea pig (no pun intended) for a new virus.

I do understand that the claims are that it is contained to Mexico City. Except for those cases in southwestern US, so not really that contained - seems to spread easily and quickly. Not worth a chance IMO.

I will likely stay home and come visit another day when the health risks arent so great. The threat of violence never deterred me one bit because I can directly impact the type of danger situations I put myself in. I can't control an airborne virus.

now I'm sad.

Don't cancel!! They health risks aren't that great....it's the flu! Just got back from Cozumel...NO PROBLEMS AT ALL- it's blown out of proportion.

It's the flu.. do they have bad pre-existing health issues?

I have reservations and plane tickets to leave for Cancun on the 16th. Guidance has come from my work that as long as the CDC has a travel advisory out for Mexico, I can't return to work for 8 days after I return to the states.

Here's to hoping the advisory gets lifted soon!Q

By the 16th, the restriction will probably be lifted

Take heart, my friends. I am sure that once WHO has backed off, which according to what I read yesterday, are tellling people just to be cautious.

I understand that VCI is at 8% capacity. I am sure that people will again start flooding the vacation areas and you all will have more work than you can handle!! :D

Tenga coraje!

Hotel occupancy in Cancun was at under 20% today (the newspaper said 21, but that's always an inflated number). a bunch of hotels have shut down temporarily leaving hundreds (if not thousands) out of work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom