MiFlex Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also love them.

One of my instructors won't use them because he's very conservative. Maybe when they have been around for a decade he'll give them a try. :)

Yes Aqualung mates them with their micron regs., I personally love the miflex hoses for all the reasons mentioned above.
However the one flaw I noted was while I was first teaching O/W students I was demonstrating the reg. recovery for the first time since installing my miflex hoses and I have a shorter hose and on the first demonstration it took me 2 tries to recover reg. although I made it look smooth as soon as the class was over I made it a point to dive later that day and try reg. recovery again and again I had to really lean and reach far back as the miflex hose was so flexible it tucked too close to my body just out of reach kinds under the tank. I think I may go a slightly longer hose on my primary for teaching other than that they are great.

Great advice and thank you. Will definitely start with the primary and see how that goes.

I recently switched to a 5' miflex on my primary and wouldn't go back. As everyone has said they are lighter and have much better movement.

Also Zeagle has miflex on the new flathead 7's as well...so that is another new reg that comes standard with miflex.

Ditto what everyone else said. I'm a bit of a gear hound, so I switched over as soon as they came out and never looked back. I don't really think about them when I'm diving, but now packing and unpacking my Atomic T2 reg always brings a smile to my face. Extremely light and easy to deal with.

But I'm still getting used to the high pressure hose that I got just before the summer diving season. It's much, much thinner than a standard hose and just looks kind of weird. I haven't really found a good clipping method for it since no clips come that small. For now I just run it through one side of a double eye hook with the other hook clipped to the front of my vest. It works well enough, I suppose, but somehow I'm just not comfortable with it. Hard to explain.

In any case, it's highly likely that once you use them, you'll think standard hoses suck by comparison and you'll kick yourself for not making the switch sooner. Kind of like my dog, who loves his Purina cereal but only because I'm too cheap to feed him Alpo.

Last edited:
The Miflex hoses are great. I have some.

I particularly like it on my necklaced backup. The 22" hose is nicely out of the way, and is still flexible enough to really use.

Lest this become a love-fest, there are some places they don't seem to be happy:

The 6" HP hose on a stage bottle. They're too flexible, and using a tank O-Ring to hold the gauge doubled back on itself does not work.

I haven't used one personally, but 2 divers I trust very much used them on their long hoses. They have since gone back to black rubber; the Miflex was too flexible and floaty, didn't want to stay under the light can, and tended to loop and find things to snag during donation.

All the best, James

I have 2 set ups all with MiFlex hoses. Been diving with them. They are ok. Get a lot of looks and questions when on the boats., especially the HP hose as it is skinny. The yellow for an Octo hose is pretty cool looking.

I like them but can not really tell you why? I do see the posts above and thank you all for your comments. I will take more note of your thoughts when i dive next week. Have not noticed some of the benefits noted but maybe as i never had jaw fatigue or puch/pull. But that is me.

I thinkt that i will really notice a difference when i switch over to the 7' hose for tech diving.

Mostly positive remarks/reviews, so yes I am a believer. Thank you for all the feed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom