Miss the hassle at the dock.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I remember the days when the ferry dock on Utila was not mobbed by thirty Dive Shop Instructors and Dive Masters, you could step off the ferry and take a nice stroll up and down the island looking for the dive shop and bargain in your own time. It was relaxing and enjoyable. Now unfortunately you leave the ferry and have some very pushy sales people insisting they are the best and you dont want to dive anywhere else. Then the same speach given to you by the hoards as you make your way through the line up of dive staff. Not only that, you walk away with hand fulls of leaflets and maps of the island. As an Instructor for one of the dive schools here on Utila i also have joined the mob from time to time but most certainly am not the pushy sales type. So many tourists now have a look of bewilderment on their faces when arriving and i am sure most dont want to be hassled as they step foot onto Utila for the first time. Its not the sort of welcome to a carribean island that i would want.
So my advise to all those adventurers looking to stay and dive on Utila is to do your homework first before you reach the island, chat to some of the schools and maybe arrange for your stay before arriving. Either that or be prepared for the mob, put your head down and practice the line, ¨i have booked already¨. Then take your time to wander the harbour town pop into several dive schools and find somewhere to dive where you felt most welcome. No pressure and certainly the most enjoyable way.
As for booking in advance we are happy to answer any questions you may have if you intend to travel to Utila for diving. Post your thread here and we shall do are best to help with any queries. Or contact us at Ecomarine@gmail.com.
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Both times I stepped off the ferry onto the dock it was a mad house. Not dive ops looking for customers, just people and kids and dogs and luggage everywhere...was crazy. So if you add to that sales people, yikes..
BUT....still would love to come back. I spent both of my trips there at Laguna BR adn LOVED IT...

Part of what makes ScubaBoard so unique is our splitting of commercial interests away from the non-commercial advertisements. In lieu of that, I have moved this to our "Trips and Marketplace" forum for the Bay Islands! Welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom