Mistake on test material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait a sec, does the hand icon represent your choice or the supposed correct answer?
good question.

oh snap!

They seem poorly written, especially the density one. The way I read it the first question, #43, seems like they have it correct (semantics aside, its close enough). The second seems off to me, not sure how they were envisioning it.

The textbook is wrong on the photography question. Refraction, which is the bending of light rays as it passes through different mediums (in this case, air and then water) is really not an issue as ALL the light coming through the air/water boundary is refracted equally.

The principle of photography is to measure REFLECTED light... that is the image that our eyes or the camera lens sees is light that is reflected back from the object we are viewing.

The textbook is wrong on the photography question. Refraction, which is the bending of light rays as it passes through different mediums (in this case, air and then water) is really not an issue as ALL the light coming through the air/water boundary is refracted equally.

The principle of photography is to measure REFLECTED light... that is the image that our eyes or the camera lens sees is light that is reflected back from the object we are viewing.
Yes, and then that reflected light passes through the camera lens to be imaged (refraction) onto the film/sensor.

You got 22 wrong. The book states that increased air density increases the effort required to exchange air in the lungs. This is a factual statement.

#22 states that increased air density DECREASES the effort required to exchange air in the lungs. That statement is false.

They took a line, word for word from the book, changed one word, and it becomes false on the test. The idea is that you understand the concept, not just copy the book.

I would say you have a case for #43. It appears they are using the words interchangeably when they are simply not interchangeable. In your case I would say your answer is correct, and the book is wrong.

You got 22 wrong. The book states that increased air density increases the effort required to exchange air in the lungs. This is a factual statement.

#22 states that increased air density DECREASES the effort required to exchange air in the lungs. That statement is false.

They took a line, word for word from the book, changed one word, and it becomes false on the test. The idea is that you understand the concept, not just copy the book.

That's the one I took a second look at. The OP chose False, which is the correct answer, but was graded as wrong.

Yes, and then that reflected light passes through the camera lens to be imaged (refraction) onto the film/sensor.

This is silly.
The amount of REFLECTED light reaching the lens is what makes a photograph image possible. We use artificial lights and flashes to light up our subjects and that light is REFLECTED back to the lens. Too little light, and the subject is underexposed. Too much, the subject's colors are washed out.

Refraction has little to do with underwater photography. The text book is wrong.

Refraction has little to do with underwater photography.
Lenses refract the light. That is how you focus. No lenses, no underwater photography. You appear to be confused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom