Mixed Results with Magenta Filter In Gulf of Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am diving around Dibba Rock in the Gulf of Oman which is typically green water. This would call for the use of a magenta filter but I am getting very mixed results. Some shots are super clear and quote nice while most have a strange muted blue tint and I can't seem to be bring back the other colors using white balance.

I am also quite new at videography and the GoPro.

My video swettings are as follows:

Res: 1080
FPS: 48
FOV: Medium
Low Light: On
Spot Meter: On
Protune: Off

Any help would be great. If needed I can put together two clips to show the difference I am getting. Oh, I also have the Backscatter Flip 4 red filters but am not using them as I heard the magenta was best for this area and the green water.

Here is the start of a video I am putting together. No color correction or white balance has been done. Diving is at very similar depths all with the magenta filter.

I’ve been diving in Dibba Rock and video the underwater with GoPro for a few years, using red filter for time to time. One thing I learnt from those videos is, nothing beats lights, the brighter, the better. So I got me a 10,000 lumen video for my next trip to Cocos.

Here is a shot using 2000 lumen video light (no flash) at 90’ (27m) depth, at 6am on red snapper spawning scene in Palau 16 days ago. 10,000 lumen video light would be much better.

m1829749.jpg

Agree that lights will help

I switch quite frequently between the Backscatter magenta (New England USA) and red filters (Caribbean). Some of that footage looks like pretty clear water, i.e. maybe red would work better. The deeper footage is going to be murky regardless without lights.

Diving in New England is very murky, with typical vis about 15 feet and dark kelp or rocky bottom. If I don't use lights, even with the magenta filter, footage will be dark and without much color without lights, especially at deeper depths.

As an example, this footage (about 2 minutes) was taken on a wreck here in New England in October 2017 at a depth of about 85 feet with the magenta filter and dual SOLA lights. Subjects at macro distances out to a distance of about 5-7 feet look quite colorful. Anything beyond that in the background you can see is quite murky.

Untitled Project

Not sure this really helps you, but just re-emphasizes the need for lights when things are darker.

I switch quite frequently between the Backscatter magenta (New England USA) and red filters (Caribbean). Some of that footage looks like pretty clear water, i.e. maybe red would work better. The deeper footage is going to be murky regardless without lights.

Diving in New England is very murky, with typical vis about 15 feet and dark kelp or rocky bottom. If I don't use lights, even with the magenta filter, footage will be dark and without much color without lights, especially at deeper depths.

As an example, this footage (about 2 minutes) was taken on a wreck here in New England in October 2017 at a depth of about 85 feet with the magenta filter and dual SOLA lights. Subjects at macro distances out to a distance of about 5-7 feet look quite colorful. Anything beyond that in the background you can see is quite murky.

Untitled Project

Not sure this really helps you, but just re-emphasizes the need for lights when things are darker.

Thank you. What lights are you currently using?

That is nice rig. Where is the tray from? I juts started looking for a good tray set up. I also love the tripod made from locline.

Untitled Project

So, your video (which looks great) was shot with dual lights AND a magenta filter? I thought that if you were using lights you didn't need the filter. I'm new at this and don't have a video light yet. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom