MK25EVO + A700. Thoughts on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive both Mk-20/25s and MK-17s but I am mainly fresh water.

I would prefer the MK-17 in salt as the internals are fully environmentally sealed. More forgiving of a poor rinse.

You should have no issue at all with the MK25 in ice freezing water. My friends use them in the great lakes in the middle of the winter without any issues.

I don't doubt that. What I mean was if ice diving is my regularly kind of diving, I would have got a diaphragm.

Message to OP is to pick according to your most likely usage. Don't pick because the once in a blue moon condition you may encounter. In this case, mk25 or mk17 make no difference in performance. So pick based on things like logistics, cost, .. things make you life easier.

I dive a MK25 with a 620 Titanium and love it. I tend to like Titanium things in general, but I really do like the design, looks, light weight, small size and ease of breathing. Unless I went crazy into tech diving and was using mixtures of greater than 40% O2 I don’t think I would want anything other than my 620. In fact I want to try ice diving this year and am planning on picking up a Mk17 first stage and will probably buy another 620 to go with it so that I can have 2 complete setups.

Lighter weight is a marketing thing. For 2nd stage, the reduction in weight between Ti and brass is less than 1oz. for a blind feel on the hand test, I doubt anyone can detect that.

I have an Atomic M1, and an B2 with M1 heatsink & M1 wide exhaust. It is the closest apple to apple comparison between Ti and Brass. M1 measures 7.6oz, the soup up B2 is 6.8oz. So 0.8oz or 22.5g differences.

I find MK25 EVO/A700 very easy to breath from....But my experience is limited as I only recently completed my confined dives.

I have one issue with the regulator that others with small mouths may find problematic as well. The included mouthpiece extends too far from the regulator so the "chin rest" doesn't touch my chin, making it feel like it is going to fall out of my mouth and giving me jaw fatigue.

This was easily fixed with a smaller mouthpiece. I wear a size small wet suit, so imagine my mouth runs small as well.

Certainly no fault of the regulator.

It's ironic a guy named HKGuns uses a Scubapro Reg. Both companies have the same corporate motto: "Because you suck and we hate you." Just kidding...sort of...I own far more Scubapro product than HK unless my PTR's count.

It's ironic a guy named HKGuns uses a Scubapro Reg. Both companies have the same corporate motto: "Because you suck and we hate you." Just kidding...sort of...I own far more Scubapro product than HK unless my PTR's count.

Well, I'd imagine SP has far less export and import restrictions than HK.

Read up on Germany's weapons of war export laws and familiarize yourself with our import laws and you'll better understand why HK has difficulty bringing items to market.

.........and no, PTR's don't count, but you knew that already.

Back to the original topic of the thread. Apologies for the sidebar.

I'm thinking about purchasing MK25EVO + A700.
I found a pretty good deal with an octopus included.

But one of the instructor I know mentioned that S600 also works well and that I don't really need to spend extra on buying the new A700. The cost difference is only ~ $80. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, the website I'm looking at seems to only have three things in the picture in the package. What kind of gauge (SPG) and a low pressure hose do I need? I'm new to buying my own equipments so I'd also appreciate if you can comment on other accessories I'd need when setting everything up!

Thanks!

Nicole...

Not so much the brand...but the ease of getting the brand serviced...

Have a quick look at Dive Gear Express (DGX)...DGX house brand...

This package is pre-set-up by DGX in a configuration that suits your needs...two different variations of single tank set-up...all hoses with SPG......balanced/diaphragm/environmentally sealed first stage...which the SP MK 25 is not...at home in both warm and cold water...best after-sales service in the industry...

Best of all...complete package is a fraction of the cost of anything ScubaPro...

Have a look before you take the plunge...you would use this package in combination with your favourite wrist mounted computer...

Best...Safe Diving...

Warren

Really enjoying this process of searching and learning more about diving equipments!
Maybe not for MK17, but one of the posts I've been reading mentioned that Scubapro recommended to not use MK25 with R reg/octos. There was no explanation on it.. wondering why.
I'm leaning towards MK17+A700. Diving in Iceland is one of my bucket list so :wink:

Because the unbalanced R series tend to free-flow when attached to the fifth port.

Back
Top Bottom