More Long Hose Ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4D club appears to be planning a trip to Findlay OH July 18th time frame...

Could it be that Giliboa will be blessed by their presence?!?!

wow makes it tempting to throw in some extra regs & long hoses to offer to members. :)

Event Calendar

I dive the Barrie area. I don't know the club or its members but I think any information or time on the subject would be wasted. Membership has to speak up or its a moot point.

I received the notice in my email and promptly terminated my subscription to thier schedule. Not worth the time....diving is better :D

After reading the PDF file, three possibilities come to mind ...

1. It's a poorly-written spoof.

2. English is not Bill Doran's native language.

3. Bill Doran is actually KnowOne ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't stop reading Knowone's posts in Christopher Walken's voice. Now I'm going to have to re-read the pdf to see if it's just as funny...

I can't stop reading Knowone's posts in Christopher Walken's voice. Now I'm going to have to re-read the pdf to see if it's just as funny...

I believe the agency in question is ACUC.

This guy doesn't even know ACUC's scuba diver training standard.

See http://www.acuc.es/standsd.pdf

The open water diver standard is similar.

http://www.acuc.es/staowdi.pdf

Section 2.9 defines diving equipment to include: alternate breathing gas system, which could range from a simple octopus system to a duplicate breathing system with a seperate breathing gas supply.

There is NOTHING in ACUC's standard that prevents the use of a long hose, even at the open water diver level.

I found switching to a long hose to enhance my diving experience in particular ways. Granted, switching to the long hose alone did nothing for me, but learning it's purpose and how to deploy it in an OOA is actually what enhanced my diving experience.

Back in my BCD wearing days I was tought that: 1) the victim would likely just grab the working reg from my mouth with or without warning; 2) to anchor ourselves together and attempt a controlled ascent. This would lead to the side effect of trying to find an alternate air source which ended up being a 2nd air source that always seemed to induce panic into me it was so non-optimal for these situations.

After switching to the long hose a few things changed: 1) along with the midset change and enhanced understanding, I had less danglies to get caught (which happened to me a few times); 2) my reaction to OOA's improved (I've performed 3 OOA's after switching to long hose) and 3) ability to maintain control of bouyancy with a fully deployed long hose. It helps the receiver, it helps the donor. In any of my 3 OOA's I've assisted, the receiver was not familiar with my gear and the receiver was happy to breath and follow my eyes to the surface, no loss of control

As for the BCD, I lost 40 lbs and one dive after gaining a vertical attitude it floated off me when I stetched my arms up to point at something, attached only by the reg in my mouth. Rather than buying a new smaller BCD, I switched to a BP/w and haven't looked back. I can use it for singles, doubles, takes weight off my belt, provides me better bouyancy characteristics, and I can adjust the webbing as I continue to lose weight, and I don't have any cummerbun making me uncomfy by constricting my torso area.

I fail to see how doubles are technical. It's just more air or a type of gear configuration. More obsurd, I dive 120's and 130's. What's magical about post-100 tanks that makes them technical? NITROX? That's not technical, either. Some might argue it provides a margin of safety in some circumstances. I mean heck, depending on the agency even adding helium to recreational dives is still recreational diving and reduces narcosis at 100-130' depths.

I can see how joining a dive where you're the only one in HOG configuration and perhaps doubles may cause couriosity and a barrage of questions that the leader can't answer, and at times I've felt uncomfortable being that person, but I've yet to experience it degrading the quality of a dive for anyone on the team.

Perhaps he's just jealous of the light?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom