most popular rental regulator set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_n_tacoma:
Q: What are the most popular regulator setups for scuba rental/class gear?

thanks!

tom
Depends on what lines of gear the shop carries. I've seen TUSA RS130, Aqualung Titan, and ScubaPro MK-16 regs in use pretty commonly. There are lots of others, but I think the common consideration is that they be relatively inexpensive but well enough built to take the abuse.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Sherwoods (usually Brut or Oasis) seem popular as rentals, and have a rep as being easy and inexpensive to maintain.

I dive Oceanic.

This part of the world the dive shops use Aqualung regs and Seaquest B/Cs for rental gear. There are over 70+ dive shops on my island. I only know of one that uses Scuba Pro gear for rental and it is a Korean dive shop.

Here in Ontario, Canada most shops rent Sherwood (mostly Bruts or Blizzards as a premium rental) or Mares.

Cheers.

-J.-

Our dive shop uses mk 25's/s600 and s555. Classic Bc's. seaquest wet suits. All top of the line, I quess. Rarely when flooded with divers I'll get a mk16 with a 390 2nd stage. They also have a few Pro QD's on the line. Then every couple of years they purge the line with a tent sale. kk

My LDS uses Auqualung Titan regs with seaquest Pro QD's bc's.

It probably depends on whatever the shop sells. They want you to used to the gear they carry so when you decide to buy... they have you locked in.

The shop that we did our OW certs with in August uses Atomic regs with SS1 inflator/octos, Aeris Sport BC's, and for our OW checkouts, 7mm Harvey's john/jacket wetsuits that were a big incentive to go buy our own suits first.

Now that we're renting, the rental gear is the same BC's, but Genesis (Sherwood?) regs are handed out. Guess the plan is working since we CAN tell a difference in the regs and would probably consider the Atomic's when the time comes...

They have all kinds of stuff around here. You almost never know what you're going to get. Scubapros, Oceanic Alpha 7s (8s getting more common), Mares Rebels, Aeris Atmos Pros, probably a few others.

My favorite of all of them is actually the Alpha 7. That thing is pretty good, and is available amazingly cheap now that it's been discontinued. LP had the 1st and second for $139 bucks.

cerich:
Not really, let me know if any instructors you know want some Oceanic gear!
I am currently working on my DM and in the process helping to teach a semester long scuba course of 20 people at a university. If you want them to see me diving an Oceanic reg feel free to send a set my way ;-)

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom