My 1st Diving Problem Ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello

Today at our dive site, I was diving with a new buddie. Does not know anything about my setup or his setup, So i give him a run down and what not. The dive plan was to 100 feet, He said he has lots of exp and would love to do a nice easy 100 foot dive. We get to 96 feet and he takes off, just takes off. Cant see him, So i wait and wait do a 4 min search and nothing, Im getting worried. Next thing my xtx200 starts to free flow, My My not my day. So i switch to my backup and my my that starts to free flow, Just not my day now, So i start to go up slow without killing myself. I was super calm never had a problem, I was nervus but i was calm. Half way up look at my spg and yup just about out of air, So when i hit 20 feet i shut er off and Cesa up. So in away i got to practice a shallow CESA. But thats my dive story of the day, buddie showed up after awhile. When i was already packed and ready to go to the dive shop for air, Im not sure why my brand new xtx200 free flowed but i guess ill find out one day.
Cheers
Chris

Well, I dive DIR style and this shows problem solving and being calm. Which in my TDI courses most divers on problems did not show this. Plus we were diving tech but to shallow dephs, Tech diving does not mean always doing deep dives.
Just my .02
Chris

Maybe I am missing something here (I only have lowly TDI and NACD certifications) but I thought that DIR style divers did not dive with buddies that "take off" at 96 feet ?

If you were diving "tech" why not just close the right post when your primary started to freeflow?

So you're a DIR style solo diver?

I wish I had never read this thread.

Gosh I hope he doesn't smoke......

So, let's see.... you're doing a "tech" dive with insta-buddy who doesn't know your gear (so presumably not DIR) to 100'. You search for him for 4 minutes, then ascend and... go pack your gear?! No search initiated? No 911 call? Alrighty then. Good luck with that (and with the DIR solo diving).

A wise man said in another thread:

"Until you understand that DIR involves approaching the dive as "us", rather than as "me", you really haven't got a basis for why they do anything.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)"

K, Read little better. Im a DIR Diver, I live in an area with not many DIR divers or divers. So i do some solo diving. Im sure have the dir divers in the world have been in the water solo once or twice. The diver is new and is not the smartest diver, so what. If you read the post both regs free flowed. Its a normal small 100 foot dive, so no need for doubles. The buddie is not a DIR diver, so what eles do you guys want to know. What im diving? where i dive?

HybridDiver:
K, Read little better. Im a DIR Diver, I live in an area with not many DIR divers or divers. So i do some solo diving. Im sure have the dir divers in the world have been in the water solo once or twice. The diver is new and is not the smartest diver, so what. If you read the post both regs free flowed. Its a normal small 100 foot dive, so no need for doubles. The buddie is not a DIR diver, so what eles do you guys want to know. What im diving? where i dive?
Solo Diving is a skill, Art. The people who can solo dive, are the best of the best. They dont have 2nd chances, Think of it this way. TOP GUN of scuba world, Cheers divers!
Hybrid,

I think it might be your signature line which is contrary to the DIR philosophy that might be confusing. It appears that you at one time say you are DIR, and at another say you highly esteem the solo method.

Also, you say you were diving a single and 2 regs, so I assume you have an H valve. It seem freakishly improbable for 2 Apex XTX200's to freeze at the same time - both being environmentally sealed. What did your LS say caused the unusual coincidence?

Thanks!

Well my LDS checked them out and he said an oring on both went, Im not sure why im not a tech for regs. So he says that its easy fixed it on the spot, i paid for my gas and i was off. Diving tomorrow, hopefully everything goes good. Yes my little signature line messes things up, I just thought it was a good one. I suck of thinking it up and I posted it in a post and someone was like hey thats a sweet signature so I put it in. I dont want any trouble I only dive solo because not alot of people dive DIR here so its tough to dive DIR. I like the DIR philosophy, i follow it but to a degree im not a full dir diver. Im sorry but i wish i could be a full DIR Diver.
Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom