My broken leg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for posting the details. It was a great reminder that none of us are bullet proof, and sometimes the greatest dangers come from the least expected places at the most inopportune times. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Indeed. It's kind of humbling to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my first dive in June of 1969 from this recliner. I wanted to head down to Lake Underhill and redo that dive. :( Maybe next month! :D

Be careful of the flesh-eating bacteria....
Bwahahahaha!

Thank you for posting the details.
I am working on a very detailed 'report' on what to do and avoid when you're injured abroad. A huge thanks to DAN's Travel Insurance (AIG).

@The Chairman, that's a bad fracture! So glad you are on the mend; the long flight home must have been very difficult. Since there was no grate on the drain in the pool, will the resort cover most of your medical expenses and related expenses? Take it easy and get well soon.

P.S. How was the trip before the accident?

Ouch! Please tell me you got several dives in before that happened!

Good to see you are on the mend

The Chairman, that's a bad fracture!
At my age, any fracture is a bad fracture. Broken legs are for kids, not 62 year old fat guys.

DAN's Travel Insurance has covered the bulk of the expenses. Unless there are complications, I don't see spending much money here. I am taking precautions to avoid any complications.

FWIW: there's a huge, huge shout out to my daughter. She has gone way overboard with this adulting thing and taking care of me.

Be careful of the flesh-eating bacteria....
While I chuckled over this reference, my father-in-law recently had a compound fracture in his leg not that different that did develop necrotizing fasciitis that the rehab center he was in didn't catch... so do keep an eye on the wound.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please heal soon and I hope you get back on your feet soon. (pun intended)

If you wanna compare battle scars I can show X-rays of my all cadaver parts hands. I'm just saying I feel your pain. Enjoy the Vicodin or whatever they've given you and never ever ever ever ever miss a physical therapy appointment. They are sent by God I swear and they will get you back in shape. Go to every appointment and do what they tell you no matter how painful or frustrating. I've been put back together so many times now I'm speaking from experience.

Heal well. Take care. My thoughts are with you.
*great big hugs*

P.S. How was the trip before the accident?
Please tell me you got several dives in before that happened!
Beqa Lagoon was absolutely great. This happened the evening before we went to Volivoli so I got plenty of diving in. This trip was a challenge though. The elbow on my BC had been cracked off, so I missed a couple of dives before I stripped my BC of it's bladder and just dove without it. No bladder? No matter. I had a SMB if I needed buoyancy after the dive, but I never used it. Neutral is as neutral dives. BTW, I snagged this pic of a seahorse in ankle deep water with my phone...

75DMB1-520.jpg

While I chuckled over this reference, my father-in-law recently had a compound fracture in his leg not that different that did develop necrotizing fasciitis that the rehab center he was in didn't catch... so do keep an eye on the wound.
Yeah, my post was 50-50 serious and making joking reference to another thread.
It's rare, but nothing to ignore.
I was seriously worried about it when I got the fishhook in my finger in Indonesia last December, and they had to cut it out. I still wanted to dive, so was on big-time antibiotics and very thorough dressings and waterproof gloves.

If you wanna compare battle scars I can show X-rays of my all cadaver parts hands.
Always a fun endeavor. :D :D :D No cadaver parts, but I've had 9 surgeries to my hands. Mechanics sacrifice their hands to their craft. I know I did and have often said that "cars bite". So many scars. A broken finger and a broken arm to boot.

my father-in-law recently had a compound fracture in his leg not that different that did develop necrotizing fasciitis that the rehab center he was in didn't catch
This was a closed fracture until surgery. My daughter and I have been fastidious in keeping the wounds clean, debrided and medicated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom