Question My debate - go with a BP/W or stick with a back-inflate BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hydros. Take the bs weight pockets off, strip down the travel harness, replace the plastic d-rings with metal, and go nuts. Its an awesome BC.

Hydros. Take the bs weight pockets off, strip down the travel harness, replace the plastic d-rings with metal, and go nuts. Its an awesome BC.
At that price point it has plastic d-rings?!? Dаmn. For a high priced item that gets better with modification seems crazy.

At that price point it has plastic d-rings?!? Dаmn. For a high priced item that gets better with modification seems crazy.
no disagreement. thinking back on it now and since @BoltSnap pointed out, they might have been metal but small. I don't know. its been a while but I really think they might have been delrin.

no disagreement. thinking back on it now and since @BoltSnap pointed out, they might have been metal but small. I don't know. its been a while but I really think they might have been delrin.

Mine are all metal on my hydros pro. No plastic d-rings on my Hydros Pro anywhere.

What I have seen is that the direction in which most divers switch is from traditional jacket BC to hybrid to back-inflate to BP/W. Only very rarely do I see a post here in which someone says they gave the BP/W a try for a period of time and switched to a back-inflate or hybrid or traditional jacket.

Weird, the Hydros I’ve used - both my instructor’s and the ones I’ve rented were all metal D-rings. The weight pockets are a bit sticky to ”load” - partly due to Scubapro’s material choices.
What didn't you like about the BC2 compared with the Hydros btw?
It was overengineered for its own good - the weight system was fincky to operate and I had weight fall out on the walk to shore. I didn’t like how it felt on my body, the Hydros felt ”free”, the cummerbund on the BC2 wraps tight. I do like the tank band but it slipped on me after a dive.
I use a BP/W for doubles; I prefer a regular BC for single tanks - there's not a right answer here, it's entirely a question of preference. Try both, see what you like. I have a lot of friends who love the HydrosPro - including at least one who was a diehard BP/W fan, and who now mostly dives his hydros.
yea, that’s weird - seeing how BP/Ws in rec diving have an almost cult following. I will say this - on a recent group dive over the weekend, my group all had the the Hydros on. I really liked it but I need a comparison point.

Only very rarely do I see a post here in which someone says they gave the BP/W a try for a period of time and switched to a back-inflate or hybrid or traditional jacket.

I switched from BP/W kit to Hydros Pro. still use jacket BC's for certain purposes. (I am talking about recreational single tank diving here).

yea, that’s weird - seeing how BP/Ws in rec diving have an almost cult following. I will say this - on a recent group dive over the weekend, my group all had the the Hydros on. I really liked it but I need a comparison point.

That's because they work incredibly well, are infinitely flexible, last practically forever and are cheaper. So yea, that kinda triggers a cult following.

With that said, on any given weekend here in South Florida where I dive, maybe 10-25% of the boat is using a BP/W and the rest are in one form of traditional BCD. Nothing wrong with going the BCD route. Find what works for you. Just saying that there is a reason behind the "cult".

BP/W is very modular. But, if you are planning on doing a lot of vacation diving, you may find a back inflate BCD more travel friendly. If you are going to dive in cold water with either a 7mm wetsuit or a dry suit, the BP/W may be a better choice.

A friend was talked into a BP/W by the shop. She was told it was the most versatil, which is true. They sold her a wing that was big enough for double, which after three years she still hasn’t even tried out. She eventually bought a bladder for a single tank after dragging around the oversized wing for more almost two years.

After getting certified and using a few dives all using BCD, I hated the feeling. I switched to BPW and love it. It’s just easier to travel with and less restrictive (rash guard and shorts diver). The fact that it was cheaper than a BCD also helped.
On most of my boat gives in Florida, I am the only rec diver with BPW, but I am not there to prove a point or care what people think.
End of the day, it’s what you feel most comfortable wearing (yes, rent and try the BPW first), and your budget.
Either way, you will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom