My Dilemma - Wakatobi/Bali or North Sulawesi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wakatobi is not the finest diving in Indonesia. When I was there (October) IF I would of had an 30' additional vis and the water would of been 3 to 5 degrees warmer I would of enjoyed it much more. But it still would not of been the finest diving in Indonesia. Perhaps the best value diving for the buck as you can dive 1 or 5 times a day for the same price and an excellent operation. The best spots I have dove in Indonesia are as follows.

1. Papua....This beats Palau...massive schools of fish, muck diving etc etc...not much in the way of Sharks though.
2. Lembeh...finest for Muck diving weird stuff and I am not a muck diver...I loved it!
3. East Timor....untouched reefs lots of marine life
4. Bali....under rated diving very good
5. Wakatobi....when I was there for 10 days in October 30' vis water temps 77 to 80 degrees....not much that I could see in Marine life just Pigmy seahorses and some nudis!

Do the Lembeh and Papua areas it is the finest diving I have ever seen....and I am a Palau diver...I've been there 8 times.

Don't agree with you there.

Bsst diving in Indo is Lembeh, followed by Komodo then Bunaken. Apart from the liberty Bali diving is IMHO not that great, on a par with the Gili islands dive wise.

Phillip, Dive Lembeh and Bunaken. You will not regret it.

Don't agree with you there.

Bsst diving in Indo is Lembeh, followed by Komodo then Bunaken. Apart from the liberty Bali diving is IMHO not that great, on a par with the Gili islands dive wise.

Phillip, Dive Lembeh and Bunaken. You will not regret it.

That is interesting you are comparing Lembeh to Komodo and Bunaken....Lembeh is really quite different it's Muck diving and thats about it...it is excellent diving and should not be missed. What part of Raja Ampat have you been to?

Interesting read. I just returned from a four-stop diving trip to Indonesia. We did Bali (Tulamben) -> Komodo -> Bunaken -> Lembeh

Of the four stops, if I had it to plan over again, I'd skip Bunaken and spend all of my Sulawesi time in Lembeh. At Bunaken, the walls were nice but I wasn't all that impressed with the diving. Perhaps if I hadn't just come there from Komodo it'd have seemed better, but to me it was something of a let-down. I especially was turned off by all the garbage in the water. Seems the tradition there is for everyone to just dump their trash in a local streambed or something where it gets washed out to sea. And there's heavy fishing traffic in the park ... you have to watch out for fishing boats when surfacing after a dive. That's not my idea of a marine park. Also, heavy infestations of crown-of-thorns makes me wonder how long they're gonna have reefs there ... those things can eat a reef in a hurry. Seemed to me that the locals don't know what a treasure they have ... or how to take care of it. It's still nice, mind you ... but compared to the other places we went, it's not worth doing again (IMO).

Lembeh, on the other hand, is one of the most unique places I've ever been diving. I could easily spend more time there. The vis isn't as good, nor the structure as impressive, as Bunaken ... but God was in a seriously creative mood when he made the critters that inhabit that place. It's almost like falling into a Dali painting or something ... wow.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver...I agree Lembeh is one of the greatest places I have ever dove and I am not a Muck diver...I was there in December, I loved it so much I'm headed back in October and added a couple of days to my diving there...but have you been to Papua?...just a couple of hours from Monado....that diving knocked my socks off!

That is interesting you are comparing Lembeh to Komodo and Bunaken....Lembeh is really quite different it's Muck diving and thats about it...it is excellent diving and should not be missed. What part of Raja Ampat have you been to?

I agree the diving is different and I am not comparing them all I am doing is giving my opinion on what I feel is the best diving in Indonesia. A top 3 if you will. Bit like saying my top 3 bands are Clash, Public Enemy and The specials. All very different but good music at the end of the day.

Not to highjack the thread, but I'm thinking of North Sulawesi in Sep/Oct. I'll be going with my girlfriend, who hopefully will be certified by then. Most likely Manado-side. But seeing as how we may not want to be diving the whole time, are there other activities on the island worth checking out? Thank you!

I too am trying to decide between Bali/Tulamben or North Sulawesi/Bunaken for 30 days in either June or July. It seems that Bunaken is the preferred location - any advice on specific places to stay and diver operators to use? I want to stay for a month so am looking for an economical way to make this happen. I am looking for clean basic accomodations and great diving. Suggestions?

Thanks

trying to decide between Bali/Tulamben or North Sulawesi/Bunaken for 30 days in either June or July.

For 30 days you will be better off with North Sulawesi, more dive sites and less traveling to the sites and better diving. You can also fly in to Manado directly non-stop from Singapore on Silk Air a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines.

You will find dive operations and accommodation that vary from very basic (homestays, local food) to very fancy with air con and hot water and international menu So just find your level of comfort.

Also find out the dive operator's policies on length of the dive (some may restrict to 60 minutes, most dives that I have done range from 75 to 85 minutes) and the diver to guide ratio.

Guiding by experienced (some with many thousands of dives) local guides makes a great dive site better. Tell you guides what you want to see and they make their best effort to find it for you. Ideally diver to guide ratio should be low, 3 or 4 divers per guide is good.

If you are photographer you may want to see if you can get your own guide. Tip the guides generously. They provide a great service and their regular wages are not very much.

If you want to be in North Sulawesi in June July you should probably book as soon as possible as that period is very busy.

Many dive operators now have operations on the Manado/Bunaken side as well as the Lembeh Straits side. Or they have related operations (e.g. one dive operator providing diving for two different resorts in the two areas). Another factor to consider is the location of the dive resort in relation to the dive sites and how long a boat trip to the dive sites and whether the boat stays out all day or comes back to shore after one or two dives.

In North Sulawesi Two Fish Divers Dive Manado/Bunaken and Dive Lembeh with Two Fish Divers Bunaken and Bastianos Bunaken Diving Bunaken Diving Manado - Bastianos Diving Resort, North Sulawesi - Indonesia Bastianos Lembeh Diving Lembeh Straits. Diving with Bastianos Lembeh Diving Resort : Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia both have clean basic accommodations and good dive guides, friendly staff and much lower costs than the fancier places and both have Lembeh Island and Bunaken Island resorts. And both are within 5 to 20 minutes of most dive sites.

With 30 days I would suggest splitting your time equally between Bunaken Island and Lembeh. By going with an operation that has resorts in both areas you could easily go back and forth based on when there may be space available. You wouldn't do the back and forth a lot but it gives you flexibility in your booking. (e.g. last year I did 5 days Bunaken, 15 days Lembeh and then back for 5 days Bunaken)

Do as many night dives as you can in Lembeh, they are great fun and shallow, you can see all kinds of stuff out at night on the bottom. Big nudibranchs (eight inch long Spanish Dancers) and their cousins the pleurobranchs. I saw a crab spawning one night. Lots of surprises. Big five foot octopus out hunting. False Fire Urchins racing across the bottom, they move fast at night and you will see baby Bangaii cardinalfish Pterapogon kauderni, one of my favorites, hiding among the urchin spines

I highly recommend for the North Sulawesi area Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific (Paperback) by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach. You will see many photos taken in the Lembeh Straits.

Don't forget to put aside money for your international departure tax (varies by airport) payable in Indonesian rupiah cash just after check in.

Most resorts have the dive operator on premises. A few will let your stay at a nearby homestay and dive with them if they have space on the boat. But that is less likely in time period that you are looking at (June/July). You are probably better off staying where you dive unless money is a major issue.

Whatever you do, you will have a wonderful time. The local people are very friendly, always laughing and singing.

I too am trying to decide between Bali/Tulamben or North Sulawesi/Bunaken for 30 days in either June or July. It seems that Bunaken is the preferred location - any advice on specific places to stay and diver operators to use? I want to stay for a month so am looking for an economical way to make this happen. I am looking for clean basic accomodations and great diving. Suggestions?

Thanks

If you have 30 days I would strongly suggest do Bali for 3 or 4 days of diving, then head to Lembeh for at least 5 (or more days) then on to Raja Ampat/Sorido or Kri resort after. Gerald Allen discovered more new marine species on Kri Reef in one day than any where else he has dove in a day.....then fill in with other spots....Just a suggestion. I have known people who have dove the Indo-Pacific region extensively and Bunaken is not at the top of there list.

Can I hijack too... I met a couple single divers on the Turks & Caicos Aggressor last week and we are all excited to dive Indonesia, so we are planning a trip for next year. Not sure if we are doing Liveaboard or land based yet... first want to pick a region. From reading I guess the main areas are Lembeh/Manado, Papua, and Komodo(/Bali). Should we consider other regions? Seems Lembeh is very highly recommended, as is Papua. I get the sense that Papua is (much) more expensive, which can be a concern. We are not looking for super budget, but dont want to go hog wild. We want to get in lots of diving. Can we do 4 dives a day land based? Personnally I love little critters, and I am a photo guy - the others are not taking photos. Topside activity is not that big a deal... a nice beach is cool (if we dont do a liveaboard) - but we are there to dive (might spend a few days being a tourist somewhere if time allows). Probably looking to do 7-12 days.

I will be back - so this doesnt need to be "if you only dive Indo once..." experience. And I am fully prepared to be spoiled and for this trip to ruin my Carib diving. :wink:

Thanks!
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom