My farmer John / Shorty is obsolete. ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainty not obsolete. It can be a suitable solution for the conditions. Having 14mm neoprene on the body in the form of a farmer john and jacket is a significant increase in warmth compared to a 7mm one piece. I also find fit more forgiving. (Half can also be worn)

On Thursday I did a dive in 38° water, wet. Glad for 14mm on my chest... a full one piece would have been insufficient.

I'll dive wet when I can, dry when I have to. I enjoy feeling the water on me during diving.

Regards,
Cameron
At times I too have worn half of my farmer john--the top half. I did make the mistake once here in NS on a deep shore dive doing that. 65F at the surface and 45F below 30' or so. Whoa.... If the water temp is above 60 I consider only the top--less to rinse off--especially if in a condo and hanging up space is not plentiful. Problem with top only is trim, as obviously you have nothing on bare legs made of rock. But it doesn't upset me enough to bother re-arranging weights, like attaching to tank band, etc. I dive solo mostly and won't be bothering anyone should my fin tips touch the sand the odd time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom