My first BP/W System. Whatcha Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That wing will be terrible with single tanks, I'm afraid. So you'll very likely end up buying another wing, then the price isn't so good after all. Unless you can sell the rec wing, it's not a bad doubles wing at all, or take up diving doubles. I use my rec wing for doubles, and wouldn't consider it for single tank. Dive rite does make a nice little single tank wing, the travel EXP.

thank you all for the comments and info. Obviously given the overwhelming majority saying it's too big of a wing, I'll definitely take your word for it. I have no doubt that I'll be adding other wings, plates, etc. to it in the future. That's why I went this route, how simple it is to change anything out. I may not have gotten the worlds best deal, but I think I still did pretty well. All things considered. I mean, just for the 2 QD hoses (one is about identical to my AIR2 hose with the HUGE disconnect lol, the other seems a bit cheaper) and the OMS adapter w/bands, it's over $200 there alone. After I threw on my AIR2, I've got the BP/W w/AIR2, 2 spare QD hoses and a spare inflator for $288. I'm not gonna cry about that. (The AIR2 I definitely got for a steal. 5th gen freshly serviced and has box/papers/warranty card/original receipt for $50)

Now. Keeping in mind I'm super green with this stuff. How do I adjust the bungee system? I'm doing some google searches on it as well, so you guys know I'm not just being lazy expecting you to tell me everything. But I'd prefer the opinions I get here if one/a few of you don't mind sharing. Thanks in advance

maxbottomtime:
but I've never seen a backplate/wing with a chest strap. I'd take scissors to that right away.
P.S. - Despite MBT's comment above, the Transplate Harness really needs the chest strap due to the "hinge" that connects the waist and chest straps. It really is different from a simple single piece of webbing. It is a PITA for DS diving as it can conflict with the chest inflator, but fine for WS diving.
More than a few 'deluxe' harnesses have chest straps. I have an OMS deluxe harness with a chest strap, as another example. The circular O-ring (the 'hinge') on each shoulder strap positions the straps in a way that encourages the use of a chest strap. I dive an OMS (with a chest strap) with a drysuit regularly. It can present an slight issue with the inflator on the DS, but you can also easily adjust the harness to eliminate the issue. Leave the strap on, dive with it, then decide. Its like the wing - not optimal but easily made functional.

As for the wing, the bungee, technically known as the gusset control system, can be adjusted by tightening - taking up the slack in - each bungee near the base of each wing. You will easily see the retainer clip to use, when you look at the base of each wing. The excess bungee can then be tied in a loop. Check the Dive Rite website for some help, e.g. http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/wings/bc2074. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow, but the Christmas travel schedule may preclude that until after the 1st. In any event, after you try it, if you don't like what you get when you cinch the bungees down and use it, you can probably sell it on eBay for ~$100+, maybe more, Use the proceeds to buy a smaller (25-30 lb) wing that is more suitable for singles.

Leave the strap on, dive with it, then decide. Its like the wing - not optimal but easily made functional.

As for the wing, the bungee, technically known as the gusset control system, can be adjusted by tightening...

For the price, I think the OP got a GREAT deal. These are good suggestions for optimizing down the road if you want to simplify, and it's the path I took. My son still uses a Dive Rite wing I picked up on CraigsList that's very similar to the Rec Wing the OP got. Not optimal for single tank -- it tacos a bit -- but plenty good for my son's use. Over time, I've migrated from a fancy harness to a simple, continuous webbing harness as well.

I wouldn't mess with this rig too much before actually diving it. Dive, tweak, repeat.

It's easy to get caught up in endless gear mods when we spend time out of the water. Better to make small changes, test them in the water, then refine.

Think about how the bungies work -- they take the nice, smooth shape of the wing, and convert it to bubbles -- bubbles that trap gas, and make it hard to vent the wing. Bungie-ing a wing to try to make it smaller causes as much trouble as it solves. Really -- this is just the wrong wing. You got a good deal on the setup for the plate and harness (if you want to keep that harness) but sell the wing and get a single tank wing. You will be glad you did.

Think about how the bungies work -- they take the nice, smooth shape of the wing, and convert it to bubbles -- bubbles that trap gas, and make it hard to vent the wing. Bungie-ing a wing to try to make it smaller causes as much trouble as it solves. Really -- this is just the wrong wing. You got a good deal on the setup for the plate and harness (if you want to keep that harness) but sell the wing and get a single tank wing. You will be glad you did.

Troof. Trim is very hard ot maintain on a rec wing. I started out with a rec wing and it taco'd ALL the time. Moving to a Halcyon Eclipse wing was the best equipment change ever even though it's a 40 lb wing.

Honestly ... I think this is typical switch from beginner to higher level of diving.... when becomes clear that you don't need all kind of junk .

Then remain two possibilities or BP/W totally curtailed and they are junk still stay at home (and the the wing is still not OK (due to excessive size and bungees) or alternatively sell the whole thing as a better and buy the right equipment.

That why it is also many components from different manufacturers in a pile ( DR, Zeagle , OMS , separated inflator , double inflator hose ... STA ...)...?

PS: That's what I do too !

and honestly PS : I would do that in your place - it is the cheapest option to refound money !

Avoid those big holes in wing for tank straps - straps should go from backplate through wing exactly without wobble ( there are a lot of details which are to some manufacturers insignificant - but from other side manufacturers who have these details into account goodwill regular customers and higher prices. ( Halcyon , Agir , DIR ZONE , DTD , TECLINE , HOLLIS) and for single tank you need max 38 lbs.

Last edited:
How do I adjust the bungee system?

The way I would do it (did, actually, as soon as I got my rec wing) is to remove the bungee cord and store it in a drawer, where you can find it if you ever want to cut a piece off to make a necklace for an alternate 2nd stage.

by the way, the inflator has already been replaced by my ScubaPro AIR2

GonnaDie2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom