My first BP/W System. Whatcha Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted about ordering this before, so some may remember. Found this setup on eBay for $238 shipped. Seemed like a good deal for my first BP/W so I reluctantly pulled the trigger not knowing how well it would fit and what kind of shape it was really in. The seller didn't have the best pics of it so it was hard to tell. I decided to ask him about it. He promised me that it was in great shape. I received it yesterday and I was surprised to see just wow great when I received it. It's basically brand new. All of it. The straps are all very stiff, the finish on the metals is perfect, the velcro on the tank straps is also perfect. Pretty much, I couldn't be happier about the condition. I took it apart to see if there were any hidden issues ant to clean it up a bit. Here's the different pics of it

Without further adieu:
2013-12-16 21.02.40.jpg2013-12-16 21.04.11.jpg2013-12-16 21.04.21.jpg2013-12-16 21.05.19.jpg2013-12-16 21.05.46.jpg2013-12-16 21.06.11.jpg2013-12-16 21.14.10.jpg2013-12-16 21.16.41.jpg2013-12-16 21.17.17.jpg2013-12-16 21.17.31.jpg2013-12-16 21.39.36.jpg

what do you guys think?

I'm not sure what the model harness/plate it is. The closest I could find is the Dive Rite Transplate (Amazon.com: Dive Rite Transplate Harness: Sports & Outdoors) which is $220. It's got the OMS single tank adapter with cam bands (Amazon.com: OMS Stainless Steel Single Tank Adaptor w/ Cam Bands: Sports & Outdoors which is about $160. The wing is the Dive Rite Rec Wing (Amazon.com: Dive Rite Rec Wing, Single Bladder Black: Sports & Outdoors which is $220). The Zeagle quick dump weight pouches are the 20lb pair (Divers Discount Florida - Zeagle Rear Weight Systems - MAP - High Quality Diving Equipment at a Discount) for $100. So it looks like it would have set me back about $700 for the set new. And considering they retty much are new, I'.m pretty happy with what I paid for it. Anybody have any opinions on it?

It looks like you came out very nicely considering the brands and the costs for them. Congratulations!!! I'm happy for you. Now go get it wet...lol.

what do you guys think? . . . I'm not sure what the model harness/plate it is. The closest I could find is the Dive Rite Transplate I'.m pretty happy with what I paid for it. Anybody have any opinions on it?
It appears that you got a GREAT deal, considering the price. It certainly appears to be a Transplate harness. While the Transplate is not something that I would personally buy, it is a very good rig. As for the wing, I agree that the Rec Wing is larger than you need for single cylinder diving (and smaller than you need for most double cylinder diving). If you don't sell it and get a smaller wing more appropriate for single cylinders, you can also just cinch the bungees down quite a bit to minimize the tacoing and bubble shift, and dive it with singles. Not optimal but easily doable - I have used one like that for years.

You got a good deal for what you paid but I am not sure why you bought this setup given that Black Friday / Cyber Monday was two weeks ago. HOG was selling 32 lb lift wings for $135. I am sure you could have called Cave Adventurers, DRIS, Scubatoys, Diver's Supply or Piranha and they would have come close to that price for new gear and you would have received exactly what you wanted.

It was a good price. But the wing is likely to cause you some air-trapping/tacoing problems, and I think you'll probably eventually change the harness out for a simple one. But if you can flip the wing, you'll still end up very much to the good on cost.

I was going though very similar things about 2 years ago. Want proof, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...discussions/410131-setting-up-gear-right.html and you will see many of the things being said are the same things I was told then.

It did not take long to go from that to basically DIR with the simple harness, doughnut wings, get our compass/computer to our wrists, proper back-up lights in the proper spots. Why DIR style? Well it is fairly simple, well thought out and it works well.

With all that said we did dive with what we had for about a year, replacing pieces as we went. If I had listened the first time it would have cost less, but somethings we have to figure out on our own.

I'll open with "you did pretty darn good!". I will also add though that some of your benchmarks for costs are not accurate... An example is the Transplate Harness. That is an "earlier" generation, and as a cost comparison, NES was sellingg off a "newer" yet still not current model for quite a bit less than a new model - like $70 IIRC.

A new DR Plate in Al is $55, in SS, its $99. A DR STA and straps is $79.... (all this off DGE's page, and deals can be had elsewhere). the weight pouches are a costly item... the Wing (see other's comments) has had the inflator hose/elbow replaced with a PTD. Some do not like this.

You did fine! Way above what others have gotten as "deals".

Time to go diving!

P.S. - Despite MBT's comment above, the Transplate Harness really needs the chest strap due to the "hinge" that connects the waist and chest straps. It really is different from a simple single piece of webbing. It is a PITA for DS diving as it can conflict with the chest inflator, but fine for WS diving.

Back
Top Bottom