My first BP/W System. Whatcha Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GonnaDie2.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen a BP/W with an AIR2 but hey if it works for ya go for it.
why is that? I figured the less stuff, the better? The AIR2 is supposedly a very nice unit. And considering it's the latest generation, I assume it'll have all the kinks and whatnot (not that they ever did, but you know what I mean

So as not to derail this, do a search on Air2. Many have differing opinions on this device, and a very vocal anti-Air2 group reside here on SB.

why is that? I figured the less stuff, the better? The AIR2 is supposedly a very nice unit. And considering it's the latest generation, I assume it'll have all the kinks and whatnot (not that they ever did, but you know what I mean

Well, scubapro dealers sure love them, they're easy to sell because they sound like a great idea before you actually use them. The 'latest generation' means nothing though, in fact SP sometimes make products worse the more they screw with them.

It will work FINE. If you don't think so, I will trade. I mail you a brand new standard inflator, a braided hose for it and we can trade and I will pay shipping for both packages and throw a few bucks in the box...

Don't take any crap from the ScubaBoard knowitalls. I have over 2,000 dives on your exact rig, except for the rec wing, and I have that on my tech rig, which is also the exact same rig, except in aluminum instead of stainless. I dive an old style transplate harness on a ss transplate with an Atomic SS1 for an inflater. My tech rig is a old style transplate harness with an aluminum plate, dual rec wing, and the very same SS1 inflater. I have the chest strap, although I don't use it, I also use the 1" crotch strap.

As long as you're comfortable in it, it fits you, and it does what you want, it was a good deal. I've never had someone actually see me in the water say that I'll die because of my SS1, chest strap, or other accoutrements. They know I'd laugh at them anyway. I don't use the bungee wings of death, mostly for the reasons TS&M articulated above.

Do use a longer hose on your primary if you are going to use an AIR2. Since you will be donating your primary something that is at least 40" long like an octo is recommended. I would recommend starting with a 5' hose and wrapping it around from the left side, across your chest, BEHIND your neck, and into your mouth. This will keep the hose tight to your body so nobody accidently tears the reg out of your mouth, but if you do get in an air share situation you can choose whether you want to grab their chest straps, or let them sit a couple feet away from you maybe during a safety stop, if they are just low on air. My first kit had an AIR2 on it and I ditched it quickly for a bungee backup and never looked back.

Does your AIR2 setup still have the pull dump on the inflator hose? What I mean is can you pull the hose to vent? You will not be able to safely use the vent in your mouth. Most Scubapro jackets have three dumps with one on each shoulder, and a butt dump.

The thing is that when posting a list of gear, used or new, and prices, most are going to say either or both:

1. They could get it cheaper and newer.
2. They would have bought something else different.

In that regard, I am as guilty as any.

I cannot abide chest/sternum straps.

I prefer a simple Hog style harness, always have since before it was a Hog harness.

The wing is okay for small doubles but is too large for singles but I suppose it can do both adequately.

The Air II, there have been entire dissertation long threads full of Air II hate. I am neutral on them but probably would never actually purchase one.

N

Do use a longer hose on your primary if you are going to use an AIR2. Since you will be donating your primary something that is at least 40" long like an octo is recommended. I would recommend starting with a 5' hose and wrapping it around from the left side, across your chest, BEHIND your neck, and into your mouth. This will keep the hose tight to your body so nobody accidently tears the reg out of your mouth, but if you do get in an air share situation you can choose whether you want to grab their chest straps, or let them sit a couple feet away from you maybe during a safety stop, if they are just low on air. My first kit had an AIR2 on it and I ditched it quickly for a bungee backup and never looked back.

Does your AIR2 setup still have the pull dump on the inflator hose? What I mean is can you pull the hose to vent? You will not be able to safely use the vent in your mouth. Most Scubapro jackets have three dumps with one on each shoulder, and a butt dump.
I apologize for the dumb question, but being my first setup, I've never had an opportunity to gut another one and have nothing to compare to... is that the little steel wire that's inside the hose that the little steel rod in the AIR2 goes through? If so, yes.

as for the longer hose on the primary, I do intend on adding that before diving this setup. Was specifically leaning towards a 4' Miflex hose, why do you suggest 5'? It just seems a bit excessive IMO.

And to be completely honest, I wasn't planning on getting an AIR2 for my setup, but ended up getting it only because I found it so cheap. At $50 freshly serviced, it set me back less than just having it serviced would have.

I apologize for the dumb question, but being my first setup, I've never had an opportunity to gut another one and have nothing to compare to... is that the little steel wire that's inside the hose that the little steel rod in the AIR2 goes through? If so, yes.

as for the longer hose on the primary, I do intend on adding that before diving this setup. Was specifically leaning towards a 4' Miflex hose, why do you suggest 5'? It just seems a bit excessive IMO.

And to be completely honest, I wasn't planning on getting an AIR2 for my setup, but ended up getting it only because I found it so cheap. At $50 freshly serviced, it set me back less than just having it serviced would have.

The 60 inch hose is wrapped around the torso passing from the tank first under the right arm, then across the chest, around the neck and then finally into your mouth. It allows a longer hose for air sharing. Since you will probably donate the "long hose" to the OOA diver and you will switch to the Air II thingy this configuration allows (so it is said) more flexibility including continued horizontal swimming when needed to clear a hazard or exit a swim through etc.

I think you would be fine with a 36 or 40 inch hose routed under your arm and with a 90 degree swivel at the regulator second stage.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom