My first go with the GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video, and thanks for posting. I saw my first GoPro a few weeks ago. I can't get over how incredibly small they are.

As mentioned above, I attached my GOPRO to the Strobe arm tray, or whatever it is called, of my Sealife DC1000 camera. I used the plastic display mount that the GORPO was mounted on in its packaging. I trimmed it down with a Dremel cut off wheel to match the profile of the tray, and then attached it with bolts and the same silicone adhesive that came with the Blurfix Adapter. My machining was rather sloppy and I am going to clean this up eventually.

12b4c6d8.jpg

Anyway, this setup allowed me to shoot continuous video and take photos at the same time. The strobe and video light arms gave me a nice secure handhold to hold the camera steady. The only thing I didn't like was the flash showing up on the video. I will have to think about my technique with this rig on my next trip.

This shows a closeup of the GOPRO and its attachment

dbdfdbd5.jpg

So, I feel I can now take much better quality video alongside the DC1000 still camera which I am very satisfied with.

At the very end of the video with the pair of Four Eyed Butterfly fishes, you can see the flash. It resulted in this:

4eye.jpg

Tex I did notice the flash, and the light on some, yet you said it was mounted to camera so it explained it.

Dump & Tex what card do you have, I bought the best one I thought a class10 in the manual it said a class4 will help with the shake.

Tex I did notice the flash, and the light on some, yet you said it was mounted to camera so it explained it.

Dump & Tex what card do you have, I bought the best one I thought a class10 in the manual it said a class4 will help with the shake.

I have to admit I didn't pay attention to the Memory Card spec other than the capacity. I used a SanDisk Ultra 16GB card. It has a 4 on it so I guess that means a Class 4.

The GOPRO was set on R3 as per Marty's suggestion on other threads.

Awesome video and great camera work shame about the pesky flash lol.

Anyone looking at a gopro for underwater should really look into the blurfix and ur pro filters as the others just don't come close to this setup and the videos speak for themselves.

Regarding the firmware its best to use the latest version even if you don't have a 3d housing, some of the older firmwares did have a few issues that have been fixed with the newer releases.

Marty, thanks to you and all your work with your comparison videos. Those comparisons were the primary reason I went the direction I did.

I upgraded the firmware immediately after the purchase so I don't know the difference between before and after.

Tex I have an sandisk extreme sdhc, probably should get the class4, I'll wait and see what dump has, and maybe some others.

Your video quality is awesome, how is the sound can you here the coral?

VooDoo: At maximum resolution, the camera records at slightly above class 2 speed so the only benefit of a higher speed card is how fast you can pull the photos off. GoPro recommends the lower speeds for better reliability. As far as shake, the best way to reduce shake is attach the GoPro to something with some serious mass and a wide grip like Tex has done.

Flare thanks, The spear gun should keep the shake down, I guess I will try it, and as I will get the other stuff, I am thinking to just try with the way I bought it, my Video will be in kelp beds which are dying off now and deep dives that will be in dark depths so it will be only mounted dive light on spear gun.

I will get a class 4 when I make it to town someday, and making my order of blurfix housing and filter package.

I am thinking this way i can put original housing mounted on steering on RIB for topside sealife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom