My friend says Mares regulators aren't good - is this true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to go over to your LDS! My shop charges for both.

sorry, should have clarified that the increased cost of total service is because the parts tend to be more expensive, not the labor itself

that said, my shop does only charge for parts, but that's because my labor is free to me :p which reminds me I have 4 sets of my Poseidons that are due this week and I have to reassemble and tune them. uggh....

No one is going to argue that Poseidon's are probably the best cold water reg - but have you checked the price on them lately - and service and parts are many times what you would pay for Mares or Apex or ScubaPro.

The only parts on Mares that are higher are the HP seats - the TM seats are more expensive - but I have not had to replace one in over 8 years - and I have 6 sets in the house. The standard service pack/parts, (o-rings, filters, etc.) are totally comparable in price.

Personally, I will admit, I prefer the Proton Metal or Carbon 2nd stages to the Abyss.

If you want really superior cold water performance - switch to a double hose. :D

Tbone, I'm curious. In what way is an old Sherwood superior to a Hog?

oh really? just for funsies.

Poseidon XStream Mk3-$715
Poseidon Jetstream MK3-$675
Both are $50 for a pair of parts kits *one first, one second*
Apeks XTX50/DST-$595
Apeks XTX100-$750
Apeks XTX200-$795
Can't buy parts kits in the US, but last I checked was around $50
Scubapro MK25/S600- $730
Parts kits again not available, but somewhere around $50
Mares Abyss -$595-$720 depending on model
Argonaut Kraken- $680

Yes you can buy these cheaper, but the prices are from Leisurepro and Dive Right in Scuba so are obeying MAP pricing. Poseidon is right in the same price range as Scubapro and Apeks for the cold water regs, bit higher than the XTX50, but right in there and so is the Mares. What on earth would compel you to buy a Mares Abyss over an Apeks XTX50 where finding service is easier, service is cheaper, and they have a much better designed reg? Poseidon still has the advantage of parts being available to purchase by the users now that some agreements have been in place for a few years and their distribution is infinitely better than it was, so while yes they are expensive, they really aren't out of range for what you have to pay for a true top end regulator these days....

---------- Post added January 6th, 2016 at 04:21 PM ----------

Tbone, I'm curious. In what way is an old Sherwood superior to a Hog?

it's not, the reference was that if you want one of the barrel style regs where the hoses come out 18 ways from Sunday, then buy an old Sherwood for $20 on ebay and fix it instead of buying one of the cheap Mares regs. You should still buy a Hog d1/classic over either of them if you want halfway decent hose routing

Last parts kits I bought for Mares were $45 - so no difference.

And Leisure Pro Pricing for a Mares Regs: Abyss 22 - $595; Carbon 52 - $669; Fusion 52x - $$720 - each offers more performance and I would say these are comparable in performance to the 3 Apex regs you listed.

If you travel and dive, you will find that Mares is much easier to find service/parts than most of the others you list (Scuba Pro being the other) - and I since the only place I dive in the US is the Keys (and Divers Direct carries Mares), service outside the US is an important consideration for me. Try and get APEX or Poseidon serviced in Curacao or Tahiti. :D

oh I rarely recommend Poseidon despite diving them exclusively, but Apeks can be serviced at any Aqualung service center, but all the more reason to buy regs like Poseidon, Dive Rite etc that you can service yourself so you don't have to rely on anyone, and avoid custom tools that you have to carry with you. Apeks, Dive Rite, Hog etc can be fully serviced with an o-ring pick, a pin spanner, an adjustable wrench, and set of allen keys. Super super simple. Either way, still much better values out there than the Mares which frankly are full of gimicky things that are unnecessary. $595 for just the first and second stage, or $599 for a full singles set from Dive Rite with braided hoses, take your pick, but it's really a no brainer....

Other than metric spanners - what special tools do you need to service Mares. Actually, setting the lever height on the 2nds is easier on Mares than any other reg (with the case port and a 5 mm nut driver). The seat on the 2nd uses the same size as most other regs. The 1st stage uses standard tools - nothing special.

I service my own regs and have never had a problem getting Mares parts.

You are right - there are cheaper regs out there -there are cheaper Mares regs than the Abyss - 52 series.

Personally as I said before, I prefer the way the Proton Metal or Carbon 2nds feel in my mouth - but that is a personal choice for any diver to make. Most major manufactures make comparable products - most divers will never use the full potential of a high end reg - they just need to find a reg that "feels" right for them. Any major brand is easily serviced - ScubaToys is great resource since 90+% will never service their own.

Actually, since I now own a Kraken - and I am an UW Photographer - my Mares regs will probably be getting very little use in the future. :D:wink:

Sorry to disagree with all the previous opinions but there is nothing wrong with Mares Regs. ScubaToys services Mares Regs for the same price as any other Reg they carry except ScubaPro, which is higher.
Parts are easily available - the Mares parts are interchangeable between anything from the R12 to the 52. They are as reliable as any regs out there. And for cold water, they offer a line of all metal 2nds that are superior - unless you want/need an "adjustable" 2nd. :confused:

DD - The Dacor problems have been well hashed out - Dacor was in bankruptcy when Mares bought them - Dacor's suppliers had already discarded all the Dacor molds because they were worn out (Dacor had not paid for replacements). All Mares was left with was the parts on hand and no way to get new ones. Obviously a bad corporate purchase but if you put yourself in their position, do you spend money to retool for a brand that was old technology or spend your $$$ on tooling for your improving your premium brand (no brainer - duh!!). They did offer a trade-in program for owners of old Dacor equipment. But this is a 10 year old issue - GET OVER IT!!!

LOL... Why? Why would I get over it when there are so many options? The company made a business decision to abandon loyal customers.. I still use my Dacor reg... so I have a constant reminder. I avoid Mares.. GET OVER IT!

And I have 50 year old US Divers regs that until VDH started making repro parts, were in a box. I have a Nemrod Snark that I can't get parts for. So what.

Manufacturers go out of business - no reason to bash their successors- like blaming Chrysler/Fiat because AMC went bankrupt and then telling someone not to buy a Viper because you can't get Javalin parts.

oh really? just for funsies.

Poseidon XStream Mk3-$715
Poseidon Jetstream MK3-$675
Both are $50 for a pair of parts kits *one first, one second*
Apeks XTX50/DST-$595
Apeks XTX100-$750
Apeks XTX200-$795
Can't buy parts kits in the US, but last I checked was around $50
Scubapro MK25/S600- $730
Parts kits again not available, but somewhere around $50
Mares Abyss -$595-$720 depending on model
Argonaut Kraken- $680
(...)

This thread is moving fast and getting hot, but I can't let this one pass: I got the Kraken and it's in a league of its own. I tried Aqualung Legend (equivalent to XTX200 I guess) and realized I just can't go back to single hose for my regular diving (non-technical stuff, no sidemount etc). The Kraken is that much better to my taste. At these prices I would simply not even consider a Mares or any other from this list unless doing sidemount - in which case I assume one would get cheaper regs anyway.

And if that's not enough, all the girls say I look cool :vintagediver:
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom