My hula girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Her grass skirt has lost it's sheen and like me her skin tones have faded because she's been in Oregon too long but, she still keeps me going and it's

Maui In 12 Days!!!

Hula.jpg

Al, I'd half-expect you to be in Aloha rather than Butte Falls... :grin
BTW, median price for homes on Maui is just about $695K. :shocked:

We'll buy Maui or we'll buy Big Island, whatever we can afford. The median price is a misleading number. There are houses selling for 20 million dollars over there too. A very decent home can be found for 600K.

Hopefully within the next year or two Butte Falls will just be a faded memory, much like my skin tone.

Prices seem to have peaked and are probably about to drop again.. so by next year, you may very well find a decent place for 300-400k .... And it seems like there are always some 3bdr 2bath new places going for about 250-300k ... From what I have heard Kona is about the same price range as Maui, but Hilo side has some very good deals on housing if you go about 5-10 miles outside the city limits ...

Either way - looking forward to seeing you on Maui soon!

Aloha, Tim

There is so much new construction going on on the Kona side, the price just has to drop. Just around Waikoloa alone we cleard a spot for 300 new homes followed by a section to the north of the village that will add 3-4000 new homes! This JUST Waikoloa. Prices on the Hilo side are still lower but have also doubled in the last year too. HPP one acre lots were 30-35K and now are 60-70K. Now there is a Stryker Brigade coming in and these folks will need homes too. Huge rental market to be had very soon on the hilo side very soon. Buying in Hawaii right now IMHO is just silly. Im so glad I didn't.

I just read the headlines from today's Maui News ... current Median price is at 1 million... However 1 home listed at 1.45mil was just dropped to .95 million instead (pocket change right Al? lol) OUCH! I live here and didn't realize how much things had skyrocketed the last few years... still though it looks like prices will be on the decline for a while...

Median price really isn't that important since one house selling for 20 million can skew everything. Average price in an area is more important. It looks like a very comfortable home in Kihei runs about 600K right now. I suspect it will drop up to 10% over the next year.

It will also climb again. Us baby boomers want off the mainland and many of them have well over 1 million in equity in their homes. The gold rush is on again.

Al Mialkovsky:
Median price really isn't that important since one house selling for 20 million can skew everything. Average price in an area is more important. It looks like a very comfortable home in Kihei runs about 600K right now. I suspect it will drop up to 10% over the next year.

It will also climb again. Us baby boomers want off the mainland and many of them have well over 1 million in equity in their homes. The gold rush is on again.

Very true - Living here since 1977 (Hawaii that is) I've seen prices double in a 3-4 year span at least 3 times... and it seems like afterwards prices drop about 30% making things a bit more reasonable again. 1 year ago the owners of the place I live at were encouraged to put the property up for sale at 500k over current market value because property was selling within hours of being put on the market in this area (not a high price area either, just old plantation homes mostly) - of course that doesn't do you any good if you have to go buy another place at the same inflated value, so they didn't sell... but a lot of other people did... You are exactly right about the baby boomers buying over here the past few years... with the instability of the world scene it's as if Hawaii has become the safe/exotic place to buy again.

maui In 7 Days!!!!!

Al Mialkovsky:

Sorry, Al, but you've got that backwards.

Using the Mean (what we call the arithmetic average, that is, the sum divided by the number), a $20 Million house can skew everything (take 5 houses at $1 Million, $1 Million, $2 Million, $6 Million and $20 Million, the mean is $6 Million [$30 Million divided by 5]).

Using the Median (the middlemost value [or as many above that number as below]), extremes have less of a skewing effect, the median for that same group of houses would be $2 Million (the third of 5 or, 2 values below $2 Million and 2 values above it).

Both (along with the Mode--the value occuring most, in this case $1 Million) are measures of central tendency. Choose the one you want to make your point. :) :) :)

Remember there are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

Stat 101 is now done for the day. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom