My RAID Tech odyssey begins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RainPilot

OC/CCR Instructor Trainer
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, after ages of weighing up the pros and cons, deciding what I wanted from my further dive training, I finally decided to take the plunge and sign up for my RAID Deco 50 course. This course is a trimix course to a max depth of 50 metres (165'), allowing use of any single deco gas up to 100% and 30 minutes of deco obligation.

A friend and I signed up with Freestyle Divers, with the course being co-taught by Darryl and Marine Owen.

Day 1 was a equipment discussion along with setup of the BM doubles (man I miss my SM!) and then a pool session to assess buoyancy, propulsion (frog, back-kick, helicopter turns) and get the weighting dialled in for the new rig. All this was after a thorough briefing on the course expectations, standards and layout. darryl also spent some time going over those things we had missed in the online quizzes and exams.

Day 2 was another pool session, this time to get to grips with the dreaded valve drills as well as stage handling. First we had dry runs of the valve drills:

09652aaa-bb89-48dc-9bc4-30fee6bdc3aa.jpg

Then it was into the pool for practice:

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 19.32.23.png

It took me a while to get the trim sorted out, it felt like i was very head heavy but ended up being head high. Amazing how quickly a video can straighten out what you think is going on vs what is really happening...

Unfortunately, my co-student had a work issue arise and couldn't continue for now, since I had the week free I decided (assisted by being frozen stiff in my wetsuit and a chat with @Searcaigh ) to do a drysuit course. Luckily Freestyle has some demo Rofos suits and one of them fits me just right....

After a briefing on the suit operation with Darryl, we went into the shallows just in front of the dive shop where I got to feel like a brand new diver all over again. The one drawback of the Deep6 fins is everyone can see when you do the feet up ascent very clearly. From miles away.

After an overenthusiastic neck purge, I discovered that "dry"-suit is a relative term. With the basic emergency handling out of the way, time to get some diving done and get used to this unruly sack of air I am now married to...
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 19.29.24.png

A broom-tail wrasse mocking my trim. I am REALLY going to need to get a heavier pair of fins from @cerich very soon...

Took the opportunity to do some fun dives with my Advanced student, @PunkabillyTurk who is getting very comfortable in the water for someone with 15 dives...
GOPR2013.JPG

Got a chance to do his first deep dive to 100'
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 19.22.25.png

Last but not least, I took the opportunity to do a DPV course. After an intensive briefing on setup, maintenance, emergency handling etc, I was ready to carry all the heaviest equipment in the world over the beach.

993ba657-3495-4f47-9e9a-0a76166b914e.jpg

13b2f59f-25b6-4f1c-8cee-7e526826085b.jpg

Did I mention that I miss SM yet?

All discomfort disappeared once I started using the DPV. Wow, this is more fun than one should be allowed to have with your clothes on! Scootering is now easily my favourite thing. The price tag is a beast but luckily they have them to rent so my wallet shouldn't explode too badly....

Tired but happy divers....

23197837-616b-4cac-b650-04365b1dc2cd.jpg

Last fun dive today, getting some time in the twinset and drysuit, at least I still remember how to deploy an SMB
c7b2555a-30c0-4381-9b38-94265aa8a044.jpg

Anyway, as for the Deco 50 course, updates to follow, 8 dives remaining.

Takeaways so far:
  • Dry runs are REALLY valuable.
  • Valve drills are much easier if you follow the instructions carefully (head BACK, elbows CLOSE to ears...)
  • A small change in the rig makes a BIG difference to trim (band height etc)
  • Streamlining is everything. Discovering that you can't back kick any more because you are out of trim and have a big chunk of metal on your back is eye-opening.
  • Attention to detail and precise movement is key.
  • Tech instructors need to have endless patience if they want to deal with idiots like me.

More to follow as I go, can't wait!

Last edited:
So Brendon, when are we doing the top of the Ines?

Nice write up. Looking forward to following the rest of the journey.

You mentioned missing SM. Does RAID not allow for SM in the course or is Freestyle not trained in Sidemount ?

So Brendon, when are we doing the top of the Ines?

Thats going to be a while sir, I need adult supervision in the pool right now...

Nice write up. Looking forward to following the rest of the journey.

You mentioned missing SM. Does RAID not allow for SM in the course or is Freestyle not trained in Sidemount ?

Good question, some clarification: RAID allows the course in SM and both Darryl and Marine are SM Tech divers / instructors. However....

My long term plan is to eventually teach this course, and I have no experience in BM doubles at all. Since I am already a RAID SM instructor, once the course is completed I will be able to do my dives in SM or BM. I figured that the most learning opportunity would be to do it in BM, thus later when I do my own dives I can do both and eventually teach in either.

Of course, even talking about teaching this seems faintly ridiculous considering how steep the learning curve has been for me but there will come a time in a year or two where I could see myself teaching the 50m course.

All discomfort disappeared once I started using the DPV. Wow, this is more fun than one should be allowed to have with your clothes on! Scootering is now easily my favourite thing. The price tag is a beast but luckily they have them to rent so my wallet shouldn't explode too badly....
Many divers will never fully appreciate how liberating and enjoyable mobility can be for a scuba diver.

My long term plan is to eventually teach this course,

Of course, even talking about teaching this seems faintly ridiculous considering how steep the learning curve has been for me but there will come a time in a year or two where I could see myself teaching the 50m course.

Get to work. We'll be there in March. Seriously, thanks for the open and humble way that you are sharing this.

Thanks for including me in the write-up. I am now 16 dives in and am slowly becoming more comfortable.

As for the Deco 50 course, I was able to sit in during the course which was quite informative even for a new diver.

Daryl presents the information very matter-of-factly with a serous tone but also with a little bit of humor thrown in to lighten the clearly tense mood of the students.

I am looking to be an instructor one day so to see how a tech course was presented before being a student was quite the learning experience for me. The cadence, tone,how and whys of the Theory and skills all gave me a much clearer picture of how they impact the student.

None of the skills I saw, from the Deco 50
course to the dry suit course, seemed easy and some downright impossible. However with a solid foundation built from previous courses and lots of dives, and great instructors that know what you are feeling and take that into consideration, they are very much achievable if you pay attention, listen intently and put in the work.

I look forward to one day taking the same courses and have no fear, I will post a thread about my experience in my Advanced 35 class.

Daryl presents the information very matter-of-factly with a serous tone but also with a little bit of humor thrown in to lighten the clearly tense mood of the students.

If you're talking about Darryl's puns, they only get worse.....

Waiting on the next installment.

The picture of you sitting with your legs crossed cracks me up. If it weren't for the scuba gear, I might think you were waiting on some tea in a cafe. I also find it all the more funny because I would totally be sitting that way myself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom