"My wife won't let me ..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring home more money a week than my wife does in a month, I also work over 100 hours a week most weeks. My wife wouldn't dream of even consider telling me no.

I grew up in a world where men didn't have to ask.

That may have been a world where on average, men were more dominant, women had been taught to be more submissive, and many men may have engaged in joint decision-making with their wives but were less likely to mention that to others as it might make them look weak. Perhaps today's man is, on average, less macho. Or society appraises men differently.

There are a range of potential factors. Consider:

1.) More divers are men.
2.) I wonder if more male divers than female divers are married to a non-diver?
3.) Plenty of men would veto solo trips to exotic places by their wives. Perhaps in our culture for a man to say 'my wife won't let me' is a kind of self-deprecating humorous chivalry that he 'lets' her have this power, whereas if a woman said her husband didn't let her, others might see her as 'controlled,' powerless and borderline abused?
4.) I wonder if more male divers are interested in solo trips to pursue their interests (e.g.: scuba, deer hunting, white water kayaking, skiing, etc...)?
5.) Wonder which sex is more worried about the risk of the other cheating?

In our family, I'm currently the breadwinner and my wife doesn't try to veto my diving (except she fought solo diving pretty hard; I basically indicated oh yes I will, and did, and she gave that fight up). But I consider the money 'ours,' not just mine, family money, so running off to blow, oh, say, 3 - 4 grand on myself without blessing my wife & our little girl with it merits some fore-thought.

So she sometimes heads out on a girl's road trip with her old high school buddy. Sometimes I plan trips where they can go (what my wife calls a scuba trip disguised as a family vacation).

If you do the scuba trip disguised as a family vacation, book your week off airfare Saturday to Sunday, 8 days, and spend Friday AND Saturday with the family. Just one 'family day' and I get the stink eye.

Richard.

What if she has a medical ban? Some people dream of diving, but they'll never get passed the medical release.
There are shops that don't hint strongly enough that everyone lies through it? I had no idea.

@Trace Malinowski interesting thread topic, certainly stirring the pot.

I am extraordinarily fortunate, and @victorzamora can vouch for it. I have one rule in my house. I am allowed one death defying activity at a time. If I decide I want to ride motorcycles on public roads, I have to give up cave diving. I choose cave diving. That is her not wanting me to put myself at higher risk of not being there with her, because she is *and rightfully so* selfish about wanting to make sure I get to spend as much time with her as possible.

I am able to dive as often as I can, spend as much money on diving as I want, which Victor can also vouch is arguably an excessive amount of gear, but also not enough gear ;-) She encourages me to chase my passions and shares in them as well. She sat in on my full cave class, has spent many hours evaluating student divers with the DSO, and being brilliant surface support both during fun diving as well as support personnel during open water training sessions. I'm extraordinarily lucky, and what from I hear from many others, this thread included, sadly part of a small minority....

Conversely, I fully support her in anything and everything that she wants to do, and life is good. I think a lot of people fail to have the right balance and a lot of it may be mismanaging expectations with their partners and not treating them like a real partner but more like a boss. My wife is my real boss, there is no question, but like what a real boss should be, she doesn't micromanage me and allows me to do my own thing so long as it doesn't hurt our relationship.

Last edited:
I am single, so never had the issue,... but what I have seen in these cases are typically- A control freak- usually a non- diving spouse that uses the control to dissuade their spouse from diving or pursuing anything having to do with diving because they either have no interest (so their spouse shouldn't be interested) or are fearful of the sport. I have occasionally seen where 1 spouse controls the pocketbook, because the other cannot manage finances. Mostly though the situation arises from 1 spouse trying to control the other. I get letting your spouse know what you have in mind & the discussion, making sure the family budget can accommodate the course, trip or purchase. That is called respect & trust of your partner.

There are shops that don't hint strongly enough that everyone lies through it? I had no idea.
Given that this is the woman I love, I will not allow her to lie on her medical form, as if things go wrong, she's going to die in front of my eyes. This is not an exaggeration and no I will not divulge the specifics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom