Naive - Difference between DIR & hogarthian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
So according to this, I was Hogarthian when I started diving based on my minimalist equipment configuration since all the bells and whistles like BCD's, SPG's, computers, etc., weren't available at the time?
Dr. Bill
The Kraken:
Does that mean that back in '69 when I learned to dive I was diving Hogarthian?

Well, there is that tiny detail of redundancy... :wink:
E

OneBrightGator:
DIR is a(n) (evolving) set of rules.

Hogarthian is an idea.

Or if you're not DIR:
Hogarthian is a set of rules.

DIR is an evolving idea. :wink:

Epinephelus:
Hmmm.... when I started following Bill Main's ideas, about the time "Hogarthian" hit the streets and well before doing it right was hijacked and coined as one group's way of doing things (DIR), we managed to adapt the principles into jacket style BC's quite well, thank you.
In fact, reviewing my notes I see lots of things about minimalization, streamlining, redundancy & such, but backplates only mentioned in the context of an example.
E

I know that there are some jacket bc's (older style) that don't have all the bells and whistles and I could see this working.

I do happen to own a jacket style BC for DiveCon work. It is comfortable, but at the cost of having D-Rings in places that I don't like anymore (too much diving of heavy doubles over the last year). I have difficulty seeing this work for heavy doubles as I would think that the jacket itself (by design) would start to constrict one's chest to compensate for the heavier tanks, but I am sure that it was done. I have carried a stage bottle on my ProQD+ and it actually works out. The issue is the convienent stashing of dive lights and clipping of my camera. I have to clip things too high on my shoulders for my comfort and the ring height is NOT adjustable on this type of BC.

And no, I emphasize that I am NOT a DIR diver and have no intentions of joining up. Some things just seem to be universal in tech diving anymore.

Dr. Bill and The Kraken,

That's right, you old f**ts, you were doing it right in the Hogarthian Way!! Of course, that's all there was, n'est pas mes amies!!!

Rob :eyebrow:

cornfed:
This poor horse has been beaten into a pulp but quick releases aren't DIR because they can break and neither is a chest strap because it can restrict your chest and you just don't need it.

The poor animal has indeed been beaten about the head and mouth. Interestingly though, as we know, the Special Operations community uses quick release buckles in action. If they depend upon them not to break when it REALLY counts, we CERTAINLY can as well.

Cheers! :crafty:

Rob Davie

BigJetDriver69:
Interestingly though, as we know, the Special Operations community uses quick release buckles in action. If they depend upon them not to break when it REALLY counts, we CERTAINLY can as well.
Nice selective quoting. :wink:

cornfed:
Whether these are issues you need to worry about is another topic all together.

Equine puree anyone?

scubalaurel:
Ok, I am blond... a woman, so get over that issue. :gorgeous: I also don't like to research (the blond in me) when I can ask a question that will start all sorts of trouble (the female in me). *batting eyelashes*

I understand (and agree with) some DIR stuff. I don't know much at all about hogarthian stuff. I am thinking of going in the GUE/DIR for some tech training, as I want to do deco diving and extended range stuff.

I have been looking into getting a new BC- backplate w/wing style. I was thinkingof one made by Deep Sea Supply. I was a told that if I want to go DIR, don't get it, because it is more hogarthian. So (blond again) what is that? And what is the big deal? :scubadive:

Please, understand, I am trying to start a (what will be a "spark-filled") conversation, but not trying to be a troll. :eyebrow:

"Doing it Right" is either a marketing term... or it's a lie. If you want to be trained for extra-rec tecqniques try South Florida rather than Central Florida.

Good luck.

BigboyDan:
"Doing it Right" is either a marketing term... or it's a lie. If you want to be trained for extra-rec tecqniques try South Florida rather than Central Florida.

Good luck.
Since you do not know if it is a marketing term or a lie...That tells me that you don't really know much about it....So....why should we believe anything you say?

"Doing it Right" is a marketing term and a lie. The 2005 Halcyon catalog uses DIR as a marketing slogan; and there is no such a thing as "Doing it Right" in any walk of life - unless you're in a cult.

Nobody cares what anyone else believes - only what they know. My profile is up to date...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom