Naive - Difference between DIR & hogarthian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigboyDan:
"Doing it Right" is either a marketing term... or it's a lie. If you want to be trained for extra-rec tecqniques try South Florida rather than Central Florida.

Good luck.

Ok, so what's the difference there? I can certainly be well trained here in So Cal. There's GUE, DIR, AINDTwhatever, SDI, TDI, Jeff Bozanic, and a whole host of others (intentionally left out PADI and NAUI). From the little blond research I have done, it's not the training agency as much as it is the Instructor, right.

off track... Anyway, I want to know about the Deep Sea Supply backplate with wings. I am looking at the model with the single harness, not the one with clips.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. This is what I have learned: most of you don't like DIR, but do agree with Hogarthian style; DIR style is a subset of Hogarthian, but Hogarthian is not neccesarily DIR; Dr Bill is an Old F**t (wait, I knew that already...)

Laurel

laurel,

I know blondes, and you are more than a blonde...:)

If you want to dive Hog, there are plenty of Instructors out West that you can learn from. If you want to learn DIR, you will have to take the specific courses offered by GUE. If you want advanced certifications (rightfully so) you'll need to attend courses offered by an internationally recognised agency.

I have tons of equipment from every era of diving. I use the Deep Sea Supply backplate with wings, I find it as exellent as any other of its type.

BigboyDan:
"Doing it Right" is a marketing term and a lie. The 2005 Halcyon catalog uses DIR as a marketing slogan; and there is no such a thing as "Doing it Right" in any walk of life - unless you're in a cult.
Woooooosh
BigboyDan:
Nobody cares what anyone else believes - only what they know.
True
BigboyDan:
My profile is up to date...
So??? You think it matters?

BigboyDan:
If you want to learn DIR, you will have to take the specific courses offered by GUE. If you want advanced certifications (rightfully so) you'll need to attend courses offered by an internationally recognised agency.
Please Clarify

Just saying that if she wants to learn DIR she'll need to go through the GUE program. There are many advanced courses that she can take, but if she want a certifiation, she'll need to take some kind of formal program from a recognised agency... that's all.

BigboyDan:
laurel,

I know blondes, and you are more than a blonde...:)

If you only knew the half of it...actually, I am not a true blond, more of a blue, a dory kind of blue...

So is it true what they say about Texans...they only come in big sizes? *batting eyelashes some more*

Anyway,
BigboyDan:
If you want to dive Hog, there are plenty of Instructors out West that you can learn from. If you want to learn DIR, you will have to take the specific courses offered by GUE. If you want advanced certifications (rightfully so) you'll need to attend courses offered by an internationally recognised agency.

I have tons of equipment from every era of diving. I use the Deep Sea Supply backplate with wings, I find it as exellent as any other of its type

So you are saying that Deep Sea Supply is a good bp/wing brand? I have dove it four times and really did like it. I just brought a new wetsuit and am dreading the extra weight to counteract the noncompression/bouyancy of it. The weight of the backplate willbe a nice counteracting measure for the bouyancy of the new suit.

There are a couple of DIR instructors out here. I think there is also one GUE. I think I'd rather not get into the whole political DIR debate, but the best divers I've seen out here dive DIR. I just want to be a good diver, and get trained to dive what I want to dive safely.

L

BigboyDan:
Just saying that if she wants to learn DIR she'll need to go through the GUE program. There are many advanced courses that she can take, but if she want a certifiation, she'll need to take some kind of formal program from a recognised agency... that's all.
That is so wrong in so many ways...

DIR is only a set of Procedures/Policies for diving based on specific equipment configuration. (Not 100% the truth...but pretty close for the most part)

GUE Teach DIR...

Others teach DIR...

GUE is recognized around the world...

So what is that you said is actual true? Or are you just Trolling?

laurel,

Well, you can get well trained by a DIRF instructor, of course. And GUE offers their courses across the country at certain places and times of the year - but, you'll be getting their specific courses. I'd rather be wreck, deep, night, rescue, mixed-air, etc. trained by an agency that will be recognised by some shop or DM when outside of Central Florida... if I wanted to be fresh water cave trained I would take GUE. Good training, though, is where you find it...

JeffG,

I never troll. I ask questions, answer questions, and make comments. Your resposes to them are your concern.

Almost nobody outside North American diving circles has ever heard of GUE, except for professionals and cave divers. And in France, Turkey and Croatia, other great cave diving countries, they could care less what we're doing cave-wise, no matter what agency. GUE teaches DIR, and nobody else - ask GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom