Nasty Gram From Iart Hq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why aren't these stories out there? Are people really trying to cover their butts to the point of suppressing free speech?

The right to free speech (e.g. about public matters) is important for democracy, but it does not mean that one has to tell everything about ones own mishaps and failures to the general public (that tends to be mercyless). People have the right to remain silent.

Balancing privacy and information dissemination is a complicated issue.

but it does not mean that one has to tell everything about ones own mishaps and failures
That's certainly true, but I'm fairly sure that when somebody dies in a situation like this the authorities get involved and it becomes much more than a simple matter of somebody's own mishaps or failures. If the authorities do become involved there's an official record of the incident, and at least some of that information is a public record. My local newspaper (and plenty of others) has a regular column called "police blotter" that routinely reports fairly minor events. They certainly don't report every fender bender that results in a police presence, but I doubt they miss many accidents where people are killed.

Given the ease of collecting and publishing news information in the age of the internet I'm amazed that a Google News search doesn't return any results about the incident. I'm not surprised that there's not a lot of detail, but I'd expect there would be at least a basic initial story stating that a diver died.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom