Nasty Gram From Iart Hq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be surprised if it were an actual or official communication. Easiest way to find out is contact IART directly with a copy of the email.

A quick comparison of the errors made on the IART Facebook page and certain pages of their website which might be updated by HQ staff rather than having the pages written for them, it would seem that it could be a legit correspondence with Pete from an HQ staffer.

Since it adds nothing, or very little to the lessons we can learn from this incident, I've gone ahead and redacted the instructor's name. PM me if you need it.

Since it adds nothing, or very little to the lessons we can learn from this incident, I've gone ahead and redacted the instructor's name. PM me if you need it.

Pete,

What I find interesting is that all over the world scuba accidents are picked up by the media (which eventually reveal who was involved), yet the last several incidents here in Florida there has been nothing. Is Florida cave country, including first responders, that good at keeping things from the media? I mean you can turn on the news and they'll report about a dog jaywalking on the highway, but a search for the last several incidents produces nil. I would think these are click bait/news worthy stories.

I'm confused. The instructor's (clear) name was given in a news item, was it not? If so, the cat's out of the bag and can't be laid at netdoc's feet (sans clear name).

chillyincanada (clear name withheld)

P.s. that said, I believe we don't need the instructor's name for our purposes here, especially, inasmuch as, we don't really know exactly what occurred.

Assuming, arguendo, that the letter is from IART HQ, I would advise any client of mine, who was similarly situated as you, to ignore the letter in its entirety.
It might be actionable in Germany, or somewhere else, but not in the US.
Unless, of course, you intended to libel someone, and I see no evidence of that.
Just my 2 cents worth. I am not admitted to practice law in Florida, so anything I write is not be considered as legal advice.

Assuming, arguendo, that the letter is from IART HQ, I would advise any client of mine, who was similarly situated as you, to ignore the letter in its entirety.
It might be actionable in Germany, or somewhere else, but not in the US.
Unless, of course, you intended to libel someone, and I see no evidence of that.
Just my 2 cents worth. I am not admitted to practice law in Florida, so anything I write is not be considered as legal advice.
Yet another reason I do not believe it is real.

It's pretty well known that ScubaBoard, et al, are law-suit shy. The missive starts out with "we have started a lawsuit". Then, at the end, it is "remove the post or else we'll sue". Non sequitur.

I just imagine the IART's reaction to someone sending this note.

I simply view his bullying as an attempt to show IART instructors that their backs are covered. That the approach in its current form was ill advised is a completely different issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think these are click bait/news worthy stories.
That's amazing to me as well. Why aren't these stories out there? Are people really trying to cover their butts to the point of suppressing free speech?

I find it funny that they had a problem with posting links (I assume they were talking about me) on a public board to the information that they themselves have posted out for public view. How dare I link to their public information. Not to mention the link was just backing the instructor up that she was qualified to teach on a JJ as that had been questioned.

If they were concerned about information being out there they should tell the instructor in question to block people or take down both her personal facebook and business facebook pages. If I was the family of the deceased diver I would have my lawyer going all over those two pages taking screenshots and downloading all the pictures from the last few years.

On those two pages you will find the names of the students with the instructor in Florida. Pictures of them on their way to Florida. You will also see pictures of students doing prep work for their cave class in Florida. You will see students doing land line drills with neoprene mask covers on. You will see a picture of a student diving a rebreather in open water following a line with a neoprene mask cover on and the HUD not under the mask. You will find many pictures and comments or captions for those pictures that would get you asking questions.

At the end of the day I personally will give the instructor the benefit of the doubt that she followed standards and did everything she could until some sort of proof comes out stating differently. I would like to see what the IART standards are for teaching a class and see how they compare to other agencies though.

Unfortunately divers die some times. I know instructors that have had students die in the water. As I know the facts around the situations I have not lost any respect or confidence in them as instructors. In fact because I know how hard they fought to try and keep the student alive makes me respect and trust them more. I am hopeful that when all the facts come out I could say the same for this instructor.

I also know what training agency I may be avoiding due to their actions in the future. I also now know when I will tell an instructor to go F*&k themselves when they ask me to do certain skills because of this discussion. Whether it had anything to do with this death it has given me an insight and I am glad we had the discussion.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom