NAUI vs. PADI Nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to think in terms of units. What are the units (feet, ATA, etc.) that I am looking for? Then, with the given information, I can construct an equation that ensures I get the correct answer. These equations are no more difficult than Time, Rate and Distance equations. I don't need a triangle to figure those because I understand the relationships. Which, I believe is what the original complaint was; people not understanding the relationships and the statement that NAUI teaches it better. In all honesty, is sounds like NAUI and PADI teach it to the same level which is just short of full understanding of how to generate the equations. The only thing that you really need to be careful of is correctly accounting for the 1 ATM/BAR at sea level. Understand that and you'll have it licked.

They tried to tell you in 8th grade that Algebra was important. Some chose not to believe. :wink:

Finally, as Jill said, it's just Scuba.

it's a shortcut to use once the theory is understood. Some divers of just scared of equations (PO2 ÷ FO2) - 1 ; (FO2) PO2 ÷ (Depth + 1) ; (FN2) PN2 ÷ (Depth + 1) ; (PO2) FO2 × (Depth +1) ; (PN2) FN2 × (Depth +1)

Once the theory is truly understood, such shortcuts are unnecessary (or a sign of lack of complete understanding).

Then again, some students focused on memorizing all the trig equations and wondered why they struggles so much when tested.

Alright, I'm gonna show the diamond here. Mx727 I hope you see it's very easy with the visualization than just stand alone equations.

I don't think shortcuts are a waste of time. I think it makes for a good training aid. No instructors are identical. We all can't be little clones.

I won't show my elimination of RDP table 3. haha.

Here's my rudimentary diamond.

daltons diamond.png

I agree Jim.
I was dual certified (NAUI/PADI). I retired from teachin 5 years ago..
I prefered & enjoyed teaching NAUI o/w, advanced & nitrox over the PADI programs any day.

Mike Dolson
(Naui 4780/Padi 202288) retired.

I always say students won't remember everything they're taught, actually a very little percentage, so taking a Nitrox course or any other course more than once isn't a bad idea. It's like watching your favorite movie more than once - you'll catch things you missed the first time around.

I've taught the course in NAUI, PADI, and TDI. NAUI is my favorite to teach.

I've never taught SSI, but I was just working with some students from SSI that had never heard of Dalton's Diamond. Dalton's Diamond is a great little way of remembering how to calculate exposure, best mix and MOD - shouldn't be left out of any EANx course.

A very good site with clear illustrations.
Thank you for sharing, Mike. I am going to share this with my missus.

Here's a good illustration of Dalton's Diamond (Metric)
Nitrox

Mike Dolson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom