NAUI vs. PADI Nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently asked a NAUI instructor how much her nitrox course was, it was $200 also, but that included books and dives. Seems like a decent deal, considering I've seen other places either do the PADI online for $179(with no dives), or I've seen it for $99(not online, no books or dives)

Well bamboo reef is ssi but the owner is an old NAUI instructor

But I would say the major difference between padi and NAUI nitrox is that padi doesn't require dives for certification. Without dives NAUI considers it a nitrox program, and the student still has to complete dives for certification

While accurate there can be a little confusion here; NAUI does offer 2 options, NAUI Nitrox (a recognition program) and NAUI Nitrox Diver (a certification course). The difference is the NAUI Nitrox Diver requires dives while the NAUI Nitrox does not. However, the qualifications of graduates are the same, a card is issued and the diver can purchase and utilize Nitrox.

While accurate there can be a little confusion here; NAUI does offer 2 options, NAUI Nitrox (a recognition program) and NAUI Nitrox Diver (a certification course). The difference is the NAUI Nitrox Diver requires dives while the NAUI Nitrox does not. However, the qualifications of graduates are the same, a card is issued and the diver can purchase and utilize Nitrox.

Jeff, do we agree that the only way a student is going diving is with a certification "course"? "Programs" don't lead to certification.

Well, we agree that programs do not lead to certification, but they do have qualifications of graduates. So, if a diver comes into my store with a NAUI Nitrox card (not a NAUI Nitrox Diver card) should I deny them diving with nitrox?

Jeff

Well, we agree that programs do not lead to certification, but they do have qualifications of graduates. So, if a diver comes into my store with a NAUI Nitrox card (not a NAUI Nitrox Diver card) should I deny them diving with nitrox?

Jeff

Of course not, but they couldn't just rent a cylinder, they'd have to pay for guided, supervised dives.

Well, perhaps I am misunderstanding something (it has happened before :)), there is the NAUI Nitrox Diver Specialty which can be taught as the NAUI Nitrox recognition program when the 2 dives are not included. The Recognition Program can be upgraded to Nitrox Diver by doing the 2 dives with a NAUI instructor.

However, under 'Quailifications of Graduates' it says; Upon successful completion of this course or program, graduates are considered competent to utilize EANx (up to EAN40) in open water diving activities without direct supervision, providing the diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training.

I would imagine the confusing part is, since the program folks did not go diving, there are no dives to approximate their training. But, if they already a certified diver, IMHO their previous diver training would be the barometer.

Believe you me, I am not looking for an easy route or a way to bang out cards, I personally think that scuba diving training should include scuba diving. I remain open minded.

Well, perhaps I am misunderstanding something (it has happened before :)), there is the NAUI Nitrox Diver Specialty which can be taught as the NAUI Nitrox recognition program when the 2 dives are not included. The Recognition Program can be upgraded to Nitrox Diver by doing the 2 dives with a NAUI instructor.

However, under 'Quailifications of Graduates' it says; Upon successful completion of this course or program, graduates are considered competent to utilize EANx (up to EAN40) in open water diving activities without direct supervision, providing the diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training.

I would imagine the confusing part is, since the program folks did not go diving, there are no dives to approximate their training. But, if they already a certified diver, IMHO their previous diver training would be the barometer.

Believe you me, I am not looking for an easy route or a way to bang out cards, I personally think that scuba diving training should include scuba diving. I remain open minded.

Confusion is warranted, it would be easier if it was black and white, no soup for you, if you don't do the dives. My favorite is teaching the ITC, ICC, IQP, ICP, ITP, ITW, STW, CDW....hahaha

So, here you go:

A Scuba Diver student completes the EANx program as part of the basic training, as long as 2 of the min 5 dives required for certification included diving EANx the student will become certified with EANx and Scuba Diver.

A student that is a certified diver completes the EANx program, but not the EANx dives. The student can get a EANx Program card, but is not certified to use EANx without 2 supervised dives by a NAUI Instructor.

A diver with EANx Program completion, makes his 2 dives and upgrades to be certified as EANx Diver. I think the EANx dives could be done with say an Ecology Specialty, but not a heavier Wreck or Deep Specialty. Either way, they have to be supervised analyzing and diving with nitrox before certification and it should be avoided to task load them.

This is why I prefer teaching tec, much simpler! While the person may not be certified, they are 'considered competent to utilize EANx in open water water without direct supervision'. I disagree that EANx diving presents any real task loading to the diver, after all if we can do their dives on their open water checkouts, then they can be done on Wreck or Deep diving specialties (Ecology would also work quite well). Analyze the gas, calculate MOD and have discipline to not violate MOD on the dive. Enjoy benefits of EANx. I do not see a problem with providing a NAUI EANx Recognition card holder with EANx (up to EAN40) and letting them go diving without supervision. Non-NAUI places do, why should I penalize my own customer?

Why is it OK to take someone to a 50ffw deep quarry to do their EANx dives where there is no possible way of violating the MOD of the gas and turn them loose on the world as they head down to Grand Cayman and go EANx diving on a wall that exceeds 500fsw?

.... the course is heavy on the math behind nitrox diving. ....
Which math?
Maybe you meant Arithmetic? (+, -, * .... the division is not even used)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Which math?
Maybe you meant Arithmetic? (+, -, * .... the division is not even used)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Division is not used?

Please tell me how you calculate EAD without it (no tables)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom