NAUI vs. PADI Nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Division is not used?....
Just checking if anybody was paying attention :wink:

BTW, in metric to calculate absolute pressure I just move the comma one position.

And, in my book divisions are still part of basic Arithmetic and not "heavy math"

This another NAUI Difference; while we have charts and tables, NAUI teaches you where those numbers come from. Keeps your head in the game, which is your most important tool.

From experience, the NAUI course is much more in-depth an includes some good theory whereas the PADI course is a little more "lowest common denominator". If you want a better understanding take the NAUI course, if you are just going to set the computer consider the PADI one.

Did you actually take a both nitrox courses?

Did you actually take a both nitrox courses?

I always say students won't remember everything they're taught, actually a very little percentage, so taking a Nitrox course or any other course more than once isn't a bad idea. It's like watching your favorite movie more than once - you'll catch things you missed the first time around.

I've taught the course in NAUI, PADI, and TDI. NAUI is my favorite to teach.

I've never taught SSI, but I was just working with some students from SSI that had never heard of Dalton's Diamond. Dalton's Diamond is a great little way of remembering how to calculate exposure, best mix and MOD - shouldn't be left out of any EANx course.

This another NAUI Difference; while we have charts and tables, NAUI teaches you where those numbers come from. Keeps your head in the game, which is your most important tool.

I'm looking at my PADI Nitrox book and all of the equations are in there along with pretty clear explanations.

Of course the PADI book isn't going to tell what you're not getting. It'll get you to your end result.

Does it have the diamond? As long as you have the diamond, three equations are super easy.

I'm all for making things easy. The wonderful thing about NAUI is it's customizable. If someone is not a math person, ie Miss USA 2011

I can make it as 'non-math' :) as possible. And if someone comes from the mold of wanting as much science, math and explanation as possible for their engineer, 'math' brain, I can make it an 'Advanced' Nitrox course. Same card, but the demanding student can get more if they want more.

......As long as you have the diamond, three equations are super easy.....
Because they are in metric :wink:

Why should anyone care to know or remember the Dalton's TRIANGLE? It is just another trick in the bag on "how to do things"

If a diver really assimilates the "concepts" of absolute pressure and partial pressure then he/she will know how to find what is needed.

My math professor was always telling me:
"whom who knows always knows how to do, but whom who knows how to do, doesn't always know"
(my translation of: "colui che sa', sapra sempre fare, ma non sempre colui che sa fare sa' "

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Because they are in metric :wink:

Why should anyone care to know or remember the Dalton's TRIANGLE? It is just another trick in the bag on "how to do things"

If a diver really assimilates the "concepts" of absolute pressure and partial pressure then he/she will know how to find what is needed.

My math professor was always telling me:
"whom who knows always knows how to do, but whom who knows how to do, doesn't always know"
(my translation of: "colui che sa', sapra sempre fare, ma non sempre colui che sa fare sa' "

Alberto (aka eDiver)

It's not meaningless, it's a shortcut to use once the theory is understood. Some divers of just scared of equations (PO2 ÷ FO2) - 1 ; (FO2) PO2 ÷ (Depth + 1) ; (FN2) PN2 ÷ (Depth + 1) ; (PO2) FO2 × (Depth +1) ; (PN2) FN2 × (Depth +1)

It makes it look a lot scarier, but it's just scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom