Nauticam NEX-7 housing announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in action... where is the proper macro lens for this awesome camera??? The 30mm one is way too short. I cannot find a TC or another lens. Does anybody know if anything coming down the road?

When you buy into a new system this is always going to be an issue initially. The sales of the NEX system seem good though so hopefully Sony or a third party release a "real" macro lens. In the meantime it looks like dioptres (stacked) are the best option for the smaller creatures. The 30mm does make a good close up lens though, I'm enjoying shooting with mine, I even managed to get a macro shot (though I did have to crop).

clingfish3 by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

At this time none of the mirrorless cameras have a tele converter and the ONLY long macro is the Panasonic 45mm macro (90mm in 35mm terms). You can however mount just about any lens using an adapter, some with auto focus and some without. Most adapters have very slow AF except for the Sony LA-EA2 lens adapter to mount all Sony A-mount lenses.

While M43 has more lenses suited to U/W photography at this time I think Sony will catch-up soon with third party lenses and more Sony E-mount lenses. I think Sony is well aware that the NEX-5n and NEX-7 are more advanced than their E-mount lens line.

Phil Rudin

Isn't there an olympus 1.4 (and 2) tele that supposedly works with all digital lenses? Which lenses and adapters let you autofocus? I have teh la-ea1 and it is dreadfully slow. The EA-2 looks good but I am pretty sure it won't fit in the housing, if it did I would buy it tomorrow.

In any case, my nex-5 is very happy to take all types of pictures that are totally out of focus. When you said manual mode did you mean manual focus?

Is there a proper setting that says "fire only if focused?"
thanks and Happy New Year
Bill

Hi Bill,
First regarding tele converters, I no of NO tele converter made for mirrorless cameras. Several DSLR converters may be mounted using an adapter but I would not think that AF would be worse than “dreadfully slow” with the LA-EA1. Housing the EA-2 would be a challenge but not out of the question.
Regarding your question about a “fire only if focused” setting in a word no. But It may help to look at the settings you are using and see if they are adding to the problem.
Auto focus is like TTL, a lot of photographers think if they use both they should get perfect focus and exposure every time, that is just not the case.
These are a few things that might help you have more keepers. Shooting with a camera is like shooting with a firearm the smaller the target the more steady the aim must be. With macro and close-up how you steady yourself and the camera will have a lot to do with the results.
Shooting with the camera set to single-shot auto focus, not continuous AF will help lock the focus, Auto focus area set to multi AF is a result of the focusing area. This can be a help only if you see which zone is being picked by the AF system. In other words if the AF has focused on the background and not the main subject you will have an out of focus main subject but the camera will have done its job. This is one reason why the viewfinder is favored over the LCD by so many advanced photographers. It is just easier to see what is in focus looking into the viewfinder. With very wide angle the same many be true when shooting large animals like sharks. If you fill the frame with the shark and AF chances are the shark will be in focus, but if the sharks eye is not in focus the image is of little use.
Lenses with F/stops like F/5.6 focus much slower than lenses with F/stops like F/2 & F/2.8 because they collect less light, that is why they are almost always more expensive.
If you are moving from a quality DSLR & lenses to a mirrorless camera with a kit lens with the expectation that it will focus as fast and as accurately as your DSLR chances are you will be a bit disappointed.
I shoot everything out of the water first. If I add a new lens, change camera settings, add a new strobe, whatever I work out the bugs before going into the water. Chances are if I get sharp focus using the same setup out of the water that I do in the water the results will be the same when I get wet.
Last for macro and close-up use a focusing light to help assist auto focus.
Phil Rudin

Phil: I agree with most of what you are saying since I mostly shoot a Canon 7D/Nauticam/multiple strobes and with the Canon for example, the camera will NOT fire (in autofocus mode) when nothing is in focus. The NEX-5 in Nauticam indeed will shoot happily even if nothing is in focus. With regard to the EA-1 adapter and the Sony 30 mm macro A version the autofocus is worse than dreadfully slow it is glacier like on land and underwater even with a Sola 1200 as a focus light it is not useable mostly. The new 30 mm macro (E version) focuses OK but is very close to the end of the port for 1:1 and is tough to light even with a ringflash.

As for the micro 4/3 tele, I think the Olympus is for real but a moot point for Sony.

Cheers
Bill

One of the local Sony reps was telling us they will definitely be coming out with dedicated macro lenses in 2012, and there is a new line up of Zeiss lenses getting ready to ship for the NEX series cameras. They are of course as much, or more than the cameras themselves!

If you can convince Ed Lai to house the LA-2 then I think I would certainly buy one. On another topic, is the 5N worth the $250 upgrade or should I wait for the 7?
thanks
Bill

Phil: I agree with most of what you are saying since I mostly shoot a Canon 7D/Nauticam/multiple strobes and with the Canon for example, the camera will NOT fire (in autofocus mode) when nothing is in focus. The NEX-5 in Nauticam indeed will shoot happily even if nothing is in focus. With regard to the EA-1 adapter and the Sony 30 mm macro A version the autofocus is worse than dreadfully slow it is glacier like on land and underwater even with a Sola 1200 as a focus light it is not useable mostly. The new 30 mm macro (E version) focuses OK but is very close to the end of the port for 1:1 and is tough to light even with a ringflash.

As for the micro 4/3 tele, I think the Olympus is for real but a moot point for Sony.

Cheers
Bill
Apparently I was misinformed by my local camera guy (who is supposed to know) and Phil is right; while there is a 4/3 tele there is no micro 4/3 tele and the olympus one that is supposed to allow autofocus with a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter actually doesn't work at all. Now I really don't know what to do.
Bill

PMA_CES_2012-cameras.jpgAssem-NEX7_Housing1.jpgAssem-NEX7_Housing2.jpgNone of the mirrorless camera systems have a tele converter yet.

The NEX-5n and NEX-7 have been getting rave reviews around the world and in almost every review lack of quality lenses has been the one down side. I am sure Sony is well aware of this short coming and is working on new quality lenses.

On Tuesday Jan 10 CES/PMA show starts in Las Vegas and I would be willing to bet that we will see more NEX lenses from several sources.

The Nautcam NA-NEX7 may show up as well.

Phil Rudin

In my view, the NEX3-7’s greatest asset for underwater photography is the way the live-view display rotates. Unfortunately, Acquapazza in Japan is the only company I have seen that offers a housing that takes advantage of the feature. Having used film cameras like the Rolleimarin and housed Hasselblads with large ~45° optical prisms, I find it difficult to compromise.

more01.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom