Navel piercing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt water tends to be very good for wounds, but there are critters living in the ocean that cause nasty infections. If the salt water were sterile, there would be no issue. The problem is, we don't dive in sterile water. Wounds can get nasty infections in the ocean. I don't understand why folks want to wound themselves,

Laurence Stein DDS once bubbled...

My wife came home a week later and told me that my daughter "has something to tell me"...she had a pierced navel.

In the grand scheme of things, I much preferred the piercing to a tatoo. It took a month of trying to keep the site clean...to no avail. It constantly weeped and appeared infected. Finally, she removed the stud and it healed uneventfully.

God certainly works in strange ways!:)

Larry Stein
At least piercing just leaves a scar!

Odd indeed that we in the West are now developing self mutilation to a fine art. We do have quite a way to go, however:-

I seem to remember the males of some African tribes used blocks of wood to enlarge their (pierced) lower lips while in another tribe metal rings were worn around the necks of girls to elongate the neck. Also I have seen pictures of bones worn in noses.

All for the sake of "beauty"?? :bonk:

As for navel piercing, sadly, youth will not accept advice of elders. They must always find out for themselves the hard way!

By the way Walter, there are nasty critters in fresh water too but I guess fewer fresh water dive sites come with their own sewage outfall. (I remember saluting Admiral Brown many times in the Tay Estuary off Monifieth! Victorian plumbing has a lot to answer for!)

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
At least piercing just leaves a scar!

Odd indeed that we in the West are now developing self mutilation to a fine art. We do have quite a way to go, however:-

I seem to remember the males of some African tribes used blocks of wood to enlarge their (pierced) lower lips while in another tribe metal rings were worn around the necks of girls to elongate the neck. Also I have seen pictures of bones worn in noses.

All for the sake of "beauty"?? :bonk:

As for navel piercing, sadly, youth will not accept advice of elders. They must always find out for themselves the hard way!

By the way Walter, there are nasty critters in fresh water too but I guess fewer fresh water dive sites come with their own sewage outfall. (I remember saluting Admiral Brown many times in the Tay Estuary off Monifieth! Victorian plumbing has a lot to answer for!)

Actually there is a bit more to the story of the women who wear the rings to elongate their necks.

It's not just for "beauty". If the woman misbehaves (whatever that may mean to her tribe), the rings are removed from her neck. This leaves her to die a horrible death as her neck muscles have been deformed and atrophied, and she strangles to death when she can no longer hold her head up with her hands.

I do not remember the name of the tribe(s) which practice this. I'm sure we could find out with a little Google search, if anybody really cares.

Paul,

Thanks, I'm aware nasty critters live in fresh water as well.

I have never understood the attraction mutilation of the body holds for some. I do defend an adult's right to do as they please to themselves, but I'll never understand it. YUK!!!

There are some nasty critters living on this board lately, too! (Present company excepted, of course...) :)

Gee Walter, guess I'll have to hide my tattoos when we meet in person. BTW, I'll probably pass on the navel piercing anyhow... I am not buff enough to show it off...

:wink:

Babe,

I'm not offended by tattoos. I don't think less of people who have them. I simply don't understand the desire to do something of that nature to your body. I don't judge you by superficial qualities. Hide them if they're in locations I have no business seeing anyway, otherwise it matters not to me.

Walter once bubbled...
Babe,

I'm not offended by tattoos. I don't think less of people who have them. I simply don't understand the desire to do something of that nature to your body. I don't judge you by superficial qualities. Hide them if they're in locations I have no business seeing anyway, otherwise it matters not to me.

LOL - you're OK, Walter!

No worries, then.

:wink:

Walter once bubbled...
I simply don't understand the desire to do something of that nature to your body.

It's just one of those things you really can't explain. You either have the desire, or you don't. There really isn't much in-between [and if you consider yourself in between; then you don't really have the desire].

What's even more confusing is the addictive nature of it...

Spectre once bubbled...

It's just one of those things you really can't explain. You either have the desire, or you don't. There really isn't much in-between [and if you consider yourself in between; then you don't really have the desire].

What's even more confusing is the addictive nature of it...

Yeah, I know what you mean - I have a couple, and I'm sure I'd have more if my husband didn't frown slightly upon it.... especially since my tattoo-artist friend inks me at no charge...

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
. . .especially since my tattoo-artist friend inks me at no charge...
Perhaps justification for the removal of one or two of those neck rings!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom