Navel piercing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey nitroxbabe,

You got more info about those neck rings? I've got a few patients who could really use a few removed:) . In fact, I've got one of these special patients tomorrow--suffocation would be too good for her!

Humans are into all sorts of mutilations in the name of beauty. One tribe performs a dental ritual in which the front teeth are sharpened to points--without anesthetic. They think it's beautiful.

In our more "civilized" society, may of our youths are electing to have parts of their front teeth shaved away and a thin gold shell cemented over them. Some choose to do all the front teeth.

The gum health suffers as a result and the teeth are irreversibly damaged by the initial preparation. Frequently, these teeth had nothing else wrong with them except for the patient's desire to make themselves more "attractive".

I've had a few of these beauties come into the office. It seems they can't get a normal job anywhere where they might come into contact with the public. To repair these teeth requires $$$ and, surprise, they don't have it because they can't get that danged job:confused:

Another tribe in Africa has a ritual when a boy reaches manhood. It seems that they have one of their testicles crushed with a rock--and they are not supposed to utter a sound--bad form I guess. At least in my religion, circumcision is done LONG before anyone remembers what has happened and what the heck...they get the kid a little drunk.

If I were an outsider looking in on ritual circumcision, I would have to say it is brutal. Having been there however, it takes mere seconds and the baby cries only briefly.

I have also been present doing the general anesthesia for an adult circumcision (it's a long story) Boy, I wouldn't want to be that guy when he wakes up!!!!!!:eek:

I can't help but be judgemental and I realize that in many cases, the mutilations are but superficial. They seem more brutal because I wouldn't try it myself.

I still have one question...or observation. If I, as a dentist, were to come at you with a 1 inch spike and grab the end of your tongue with a tongue forceps....AND offer no anesthetic--the proceed to jam that spike right through your tongue you would think that I was totally NUTS and probably sue me.

Now you can go to the flea market, or other well established medical clinic like an HMO and let a young person who might have graduated from high school, promise that all the instruments are autoclaved and totally safe, jam the same said spike right through the middle of your tongue with NO anesthetic and run the risk of infection, broken teeth, hemorrage or nerve damage and after a few explitives, you gladly thank that person and even better....pay them on the spot. You would never think of saying, "I forgot my checkbook."

In Miami, we go one better...there are numerous arrests made of "dentists" without any licenses, working out of their garages with better equipment than I have. Of course their cats pee in the same sink as they wash in...but don't sweat the small stuff.

WHAT WERE THESE PATIENTS THINKING??? When interviewed on the news, they, to a patient, claim that they HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A PROBLEM!!!!!

We also have fake botox clinics and, my favorite, silicone injections using Home Depot grade bathroom silicone to "plump" those lips!

It gets even better...if they sue, they can receive damages from the fake docs...duh!!!...must have the McDonalds jury!

Well, sorry I got started and I just couldn't stop.

Dr. Paul, you must have some "beauts" for stories....please share some. :wink:

Larry Stein

It is true that people do some wacky things... some wackier than others... I don't know why I am surprised by peoples behavior since my philosophy is that we're just a bunch of overgrown hairless monkeys... I should expect them to throw poo, ya know?

I'm afraid I won't be able to get the neck rings there in time for your psychotic patient... I'm still using them on the guy who came in my store last week and called my clerk a f***ing retard... when he's sufficiently dead I'll drop you a line...

It's very true, what you said about the people who can't get a job because of their strange teeth. I had an applicant who had two large blue stars tattoo'd on her forehead. One on each temple, very artistically placed, nice job on the tat. Would I hire her? Ummmm............ nope. I have tattoos, but not on my dang head. What the heck are people thinking? Wait, don't answer that.

And yes, you're right, I would defend myself vigorously if you came towards my tongue with a spike. You'd be walkin' funny for weeks.

:wink:

Sorry to hear that Home Depot silicone is no good. I had an appointment set for next week... looks like I'll have to reschedule...

:D

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
Ummmm............ nope. I have tattoos, but not on my dang head. What the heck are people thinking? Wait, don't answer that.

Last time I got some ink done, we had a chat about the extremes. See, you've got those that have the desire for tattoos, and those that don't. Likewise within the 'body modification' world, you have some people that do it with a little bit of taste and class, and you've got some people that are just... welll, just morons.

John [my artist] was telling about a magazine that he got and threw out in his studio. He never really bothered to look at it until his daugher was flipping through it.

He picked it up, and after flipping through a few pages, threw the thing through his shredder, and promptly called them up and told them to never send him another publication again.

The article he saw? It was about people that were having their hands amputated and replaced with replicas designed after Borg implants.

Yea... sure... I'll hire you. You had your hand cut off, I think you'll be perfect for this job.

how insane are people?

I'm guilty of having my naval pierced and two tattoos.

Naval piercing..... that takes 9 months to heal completely. Luckly I had mine done years prior to diving so that didn't interfere. Although, climbing back up on the boat during a dive it was "snagged" and it hurt like NO OTHER!!! It was actually a little sore for a few days, but luckly it wasn't THAT bad. Bactine works the best to clean it ALWAYS... even after healing.

Tattoos.... one on lower back, one on outer part of my right ankle. There's just something about getting tattoos I enjoy. I can tolerate the pain.... but it's like a guilty pleasure. But once you get one, you want another and always have that urge for another. I'm still thinking of what to put next.

My family and I had a recent experience with Tattoo's. I have 4 teenage daughters and on a recent family trip to Maui the number 3 daughter was begging for a tatoo. Well thanks to real cheap rum and a weak moment after diving the Five graves I agreed we would all get tattoos to remember our trip. Damn stupid idea anyway. so the day comes and we all troop in to the Tattoo parlor. Each girl ( including my wife ) picked something they would associate with the diving. Sharks, Turtles etc. In retrospect it was painful but one of the good things about our trip. ( there were many) Now if I could only get used to having a freakin turtle petroglyph on my shoulder :)

Cherry

Cherry once bubbled...
Now if I could only get used to having a freakin turtle petroglyph on my shoulder

now you have something in common with every third vehicle in the state - people here LOVE to put those stickers on their cars. I haven't seen anyone with that tattoo yet, though. :eek:ut:

As far as weird things people do to their bodies, the weirdest I've seen was this guy I saw while living briefly in Austin, TX. He had a large "tribal" ring (like a ring on a bull) in his nose and these little silicone balls that were inserted right under the skin on his face, so that there were these bumps on his forehead - he looked like something out of Star Trek. Oh, the D-rings hanging from his ears were a nice touch, too.

Laurence Stein DDS once bubbled...
Hey nitroxbabe,

You got more info about those neck rings? I've got a few patients who could really use a few removed:) . In fact, I've got one of these special patients tomorrow--suffocation would be too good for her!

Humans are into all sorts of mutilations in the name of beauty. One tribe performs a dental ritual in which the front teeth are sharpened to points--without anesthetic. They think it's beautiful.

In our more "civilized" society, may of our youths are electing to have parts of their front teeth shaved away and a thin gold shell cemented over them. Some choose to do all the front teeth.

The gum health suffers as a result and the teeth are irreversibly damaged by the initial preparation. Frequently, these teeth had nothing else wrong with them except for the patient's desire to make themselves more "attractive".

I've had a few of these beauties come into the office. It seems they can't get a normal job anywhere where they might come into contact with the public. To repair these teeth requires $$$ and, surprise, they don't have it because they can't get that danged job:confused:

Another tribe in Africa has a ritual when a boy reaches manhood. It seems that they have one of their testicles crushed with a rock--and they are not supposed to utter a sound--bad form I guess. At least in my religion, circumcision is done LONG before anyone remembers what has happened and what the heck...they get the kid a little drunk.

If I were an outsider looking in on ritual circumcision, I would have to say it is brutal. Having been there however, it takes mere seconds and the baby cries only briefly.

I have also been present doing the general anesthesia for an adult circumcision (it's a long story) Boy, I wouldn't want to be that guy when he wakes up!!!!!!:eek:

I can't help but be judgemental and I realize that in many cases, the mutilations are but superficial. They seem more brutal because I wouldn't try it myself.

I still have one question...or observation. If I, as a dentist, were to come at you with a 1 inch spike and grab the end of your tongue with a tongue forceps....AND offer no anesthetic--the proceed to jam that spike right through your tongue you would think that I was totally NUTS and probably sue me.

Now you can go to the flea market, or other well established medical clinic like an HMO and let a young person who might have graduated from high school, promise that all the instruments are autoclaved and totally safe, jam the same said spike right through the middle of your tongue with NO anesthetic and run the risk of infection, broken teeth, hemorrage or nerve damage and after a few explitives, you gladly thank that person and even better....pay them on the spot. You would never think of saying, "I forgot my checkbook."

In Miami, we go one better...there are numerous arrests made of "dentists" without any licenses, working out of their garages with better equipment than I have. Of course their cats pee in the same sink as they wash in...but don't sweat the small stuff.

WHAT WERE THESE PATIENTS THINKING??? When interviewed on the news, they, to a patient, claim that they HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A PROBLEM!!!!!

We also have fake botox clinics and, my favorite, silicone injections using Home Depot grade bathroom silicone to "plump" those lips!

It gets even better...if they sue, they can receive damages from the fake docs...duh!!!...must have the McDonalds jury!

Well, sorry I got started and I just couldn't stop.

Dr. Paul, you must have some "beauts" for stories....please share some. :wink:

Larry Stein

Don't EVEN get me started on tongue piercings and those "lovely" gold etched crowns on PERFECTLY healthy teeth! GRRRRRRR!!!!! Makes me want to turn into a Nazi hygienist. :upset:

Stop....breath....relax...breath...

Now think of a happy place....yeah....happy place...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom