Navy Corpsman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was current in my EMT-I certification in both Utah and Nevada.
I was current in my certification as an American Heart CPR instructor.
I was certified as the Training Officer for my Utah agency.

You'll excuse my cynicism, but I think he wanted the additional fees for the EFR/CPR course.

That's exactly what it was. You were already more than qualified in those areas. I would have found another instructor.

Although somebody might expect me to defend the guy, I think you're absolutely right. You can try e-mailing PADI, asking if your certification is recognised, and if they respond in the affirmative, ask why the instructor didn't accept it. Ask the instructor if he checked with PADI and/or EFR before refusing you, and ask for the proof.

Many people might not believe this but PADI are (usually, *ahem*) on the ball when it comes to their Quality Assurance processes. I happen to know this for a fact because a friend of mine has had a complaint made against him (Not his fault but nevertheless a minor violation of standards) and is going through it now.

If you felt that you have been ripped off, go ahead and make the complaint - to PADI, to EFR, to the manager of the LDS - at the very least I think a gentlemanly solution would be an apology made by way of a full course refund. I understand your cynicism - I am, after all, an honest man searching for the truth with a stolen lantern - and it is exactly this sort of cynicism I'd like to see removed from divers, because it shouldn't be like that.

Safe Diving,

C.

I would like to know if having been a Navy corpsman on independent duty and working as an EMT, all the while enjoying diving at uncle sams expense might qualify one for the rescue diver? Any comments? :vintagediver:

Hey John, as a HM1 (reserve) & an EMT-P, I'd agree you have the medical side of the rescue class covered. If your "enjoying diving at uncle sams expense" means your a fellow Navy diver then in my book your well past rescue qualified.

Finishing up rescue tomorrow. Employed as a fulltime Firefighter/Paramedic, didn't have to do any of the CPR/First Aid stuff. I'm taking SDI's rescue class btw

Although somebody might expect me to defend the guy, I think you're absolutely right. You can try e-mailing PADI, asking if your certification is recognised, and if they respond in the affirmative, ask why the instructor didn't accept it. Ask the instructor if he checked with PADI and/or EFR before refusing you, and ask for the proof.

Many people might not believe this but PADI are (usually, *ahem*) on the ball when it comes to their Quality Assurance processes. I happen to know this for a fact because a friend of mine has had a complaint made against him (Not his fault but nevertheless a minor violation of standards) and is going through it now.

If you felt that you have been ripped off, go ahead and make the complaint - to PADI, to EFR, to the manager of the LDS - at the very least I think a gentlemanly solution would be an apology made by way of a full course refund. I understand your cynicism - I am, after all, an honest man searching for the truth with a stolen lantern - and it is exactly this sort of cynicism I'd like to see removed from divers, because it shouldn't be like that.

Safe Diving,

C.

It's water under the bridge at this point. The LDS has since gone under. I was offering the info more to alert newer divers that this sort of thing happens. And it does not detract from my enjoyment of current diving.

The LDS has since gone under. I was offering the info more to alert newer divers that this sort of thing happens. And it does not detract from my enjoyment of current diving.

I don't want to really accuse your dive shop and instructor of anything - I wasn't there to make a judgment - but from the information you've provided it seems one might suggest they are currently enjoying the benefits of pi**ing off their divers!

Glad it didn't spoil your fun; sadly it does happen - and I think making people aware of the problem helps. This sort of thing happens in any business, from the market stall to wall street, and therefore unfortunately the dive industry.

Desert_Diver's warning is fair - and I think it would also be fair to say that a modicum of research and questioning from potential students would not go amiss in helping to fix the problem. Make sure you know *exactly* what you're getting before you sign up.

Cheers all,

C.

I was current in my EMT-I certification in both Utah and Nevada.
I was current in my certification as an American Heart CPR instructor.
I was certified as the Training Officer for my Utah agency.

You'll excuse my cynicism, but I think he wanted the additional fees for the EFR/CPR course.

******OUCH!!! I would have to agree with you on that. I spent many years on independent duty as a navy corpsman, certified in the ER, CCU, (along with my EMT Certificate, which in my opinion pales in comparison to my previous job experience). I put people back together again, delivered babies, repeatedly brought people back from the brink of death, and hmmmmmmmm you’re not qualified. :rofl3: Some times I too think they do it for the money.

Hey John, as a HM1 (reserve) & an EMT-P, I'd agree you have the medical side of the rescue class covered. If your "enjoying diving at uncle sams expense" means your a fellow Navy diver then in my book your well past rescue qualified.

I second that, if you work with an instructor that knows the depth of training one has received through the military, or also in my case Commercial Diving school, than the whole EFR/CPR/Rescue Diver thing is a moot point. I did more bottom retreavals and diver rescue drill than any recreational SCUBA course will ever get into.

My PADI Rescue instructor accepted my current CPR card and military first aid training.

By the time I started on PADI Divemaster I was certified as an AHA Basic Life Support Instructor. Along with the AHA Instructor card, I received First Responder training as part of my job as a Military Policeman. That was accepted by my Divemaster instructor.

Ironically, one of my next goals is to get EFR Instructor :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom