• No

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • Yes, a watch

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Yes, second dive computer

Votes: 85 48.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who said they were doing 4 dives a day for a week? Regardless, 4 dives a day even for a week is not necessarily unsafe - people do it on live-aboards all the time! It depends on lots of factors including depth, time, diver's physical fitness, exertion, etc., etc.,. That's the beauty of modern dive computers: they can provide you with information that can keep you safe over multiple dives over multiple days if set up properly.
You don't "need" many things we dive with - but a second DC can be beneficial if your primary fails. "Full stop".
Not sure what you mean by the first part but, where I usually dive, no DC means no diving - It's mandatory!
Yes, I do.
Maybe for you...
Silly comment and no one was talking about wearing two computers to flash them around. Thanks for the useless add/veiled insult. Makes me shake my head when folks post comments like that!
Hi
It is mot an insult, it is just an externalization of my frustration of seeing people confusing information and knowledge :)
Indeed, if you (general " you" :)) tell me you have one or two DC because you like that and that they are only tools for you, fine but it you tell me you cannot dive without a DC or your vacation is #@$ because your DC is broken, well ...
Anyway, whatever you do, just enjoy your dives :)

Hi
It is mot an insult, it is just an externalization of my frustration of seeing people confusing information and knowledge :)
Indeed, if you (general " you" :)) tell me you have one or two DC because you like that and that they are only tools for you, fine but it you tell me you cannot dive without a DC or your vacation is #@$ because your DC is broken, well ...
Anyway, whatever you do, just enjoy your dives :)
The Dive Ops I've dived with in the Carribean all require use of a dive computer or you will not be permitted to dive from their boat - so, yes, I can't dive without a DC!

And, yes, I would be rather unhappy to have to sit out dive(s) I've paid for due to a malfunctioning or damaged dive computer while on a dive trip! I value my limited dive opportunities too much to gamble with them when there is an easy insurance policy in the form of a backup computer! But, that's just how I approach it!

Let's take it easy in here folks. No sense in getting our fins ruffled. Feel free to remind yourselves that the Basic Scuba Discussions area requires a high degree of niceness, whether you disagree with someone or feel someone is unfairly disagreeing with you.

Let's take it easy in here folks. No sense in getting our fins ruffled. Feel free to remind yourselves that the Basic Scuba Discussions area requires a high degree of niceness, whether you disagree with someone or feel someone is unfairly disagreeing with you.
Thank you -

I got my first computer (it crapped out because of an O ring or insecure battery compartment, I vaguely recall) because my instructor on the Deep Dive course I took in 2007 said it was a good idea. Shortly after I heard that some charters won't let you dive without one. Another good reason. I don't think I'd buy a second one (instead of using my analog as backup), but maybe I should consider asking if analog will do in a pinch before paying for another charter in Florida. Being a DM, they probably just assumed I had a DC (or two???).

My ex-wife used a Shark watch she bought for $5 at a swap meet for her first 300 dives before getting her first computer.

I used this gear for several years, including a couple of years ago just for fun.
View attachment 509691

View attachment 509692

My girlfriend and I used our Princteons last week :wink: I added a capillary depth gauge to each of our SPGs, just in case. Not that I have any reservations about taking electronics into salt water under pressure. At this moment I am working on adding a capillary depth gauge to the face of my Princeton. Many or most of the cap gauges are not very accurate past around 50-60 feet but should be good enough for doing a 15' safety stop if the computer craps out.

I currently dive with 3 DCs and a watch but only because I already have them so I may as well use them. Well, that and I keep detailed logs. I love my diving so much I’d never want to abort a dive if I don’t have to.

I use my Oceanic Atom 3.0 (5 years old) as a backup AI computer. It also generally gives me more accurate gas time remaining.

My Shearwater Perdix AI (2 years old) is my primary AI computer and the start and end tank pressures are automatically pulled into my log. I will also use it as a backup for dive profile information in my log.

My Garmin Descent Mk1 (18 months old) is my backup NDL/Deco computer and also logs my entry and exit locations. It may become my primary for dive profile data if the latest firmware fixed the bug with temperature logging (which I haven’t been able to test as I’m not allowed to dive at the moment.

My Citizen Hyper Aqualand (19 years old) is my primary for dive profile data as it has the most accurate temperature sensor.

Hi @ATJ

Funny thing, I have dived 2 computers for about 13 years, at least one, AI. I'm currently diving a 9 year old Oceanic VT3 and a 4 month old Teric off the same transmitter. This week, I added a 3rd computer as I am reviewing a Watoom Cyano for DGX. After my thorough review is done, I will go back to 2 computers, that is plenty. Of course, I do have a SPG :)

Hi @ATJ

Funny thing, I have dived 2 computers for about 13 years, at least one, AI. I'm currently diving a 9 year old Oceanic VT3 and a 4 month old Teric off the same transmitter. This week, I added a 3rd computer as I am reviewing a Watoom Cyano for DGX. After my thorough review is done, I will go back to 2 computers, that is plenty. Of course, I do have a SPG :)

Hey dada - can one transmitter transmit to 2 separate computers? o_O It may make the case for an air integrated Oceanic backup for me... :wink: or another Perdix...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom