need advice from force fin users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update:

I tried bicycle kicking in the pool during a refresher and think that have been doing to doing the same kick all along (interspersed with my flutter and frog). Funny thing is that the instructor, who had never used the force fins noted that I should flutter from the hips instead of kicking from my knees. I told him that's the way I'm supposed to kick with the force fins.

So another instructor came over and we started to talk about the fins and he suggested I try the scubapro twin jets. Wow, what a difference! so much less exertion and effort. I tended to list from side to side with the force fins because of the way I kicked and with the twin jets i just needed to gently flutter to get anywhere. I don't tend to need much power or speed when I dive, but I've read that the twin jets will give you that anyway. An excuse to buy new gear. . .

Thanks for all the comments!

(by the way, "pretty" describes "small", not "feet")

I'm a woman with size 7 feet. I got a pair several years (size M-L, as recommended). First I used them with hard-soled booties, and it was terrible. My feet (top of foot) got so tired. I switched to a soft bootie, and it helped some. Finally I ordered a comfort instep to wear with them, with bare feet or thin little spandex booties.

But I was so fed up with the force fins, that I decided to go ahead and switch to split fins. I ordered the split fins, but they were too large, so I was stuck with the force fins on my recent trip to the Philippines.

Guess what? The force fins worked really well! Now I think I won't donate them to the dog, after all!

When I use them for snorkeling, I use a shallow flutter kick, interspersed with some frog kicks. For diving, just whatever feels natural. Isn't that what it's all about?

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom