Need advice with BP/W selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homo maris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to buy a BP/W combo. I only dive tropical waters with a single tank, aluminium or steel. I have rented a Dive Rite Transpak with a Travel Wing (30) and I liked the streamlined feel very much. I used 4lbs with a steel tank so I think I need an aluminium plate. I need a light setup that packs tight as I travel often with a single backpack to dive sites.

I am considering the following combinations and would appreciate some advice.
  • Halcyon Elite wing with Halcyon Secure Harness aluminum
  • OMS Signature #30 with travel backplate 1/8”
  • Dive right Travel Wing, aluminum backplate, deluxe harness
  • Deep Sea supplies Pro-fit hybrid backplate LCD 30 wing

Thanks,
JL

I have the following setup:

DiveRite RecWing+Aluminum BP+TransPlate

I love it.!!!!

What kind of diving are you going to do?? Going a mile deep with 200 extra tanks hanging off of you??? If so...you might really consider the one piece webbing. Doing simple rec diving and like the idea of adjustable harnesses??

I have a Transplate with the Rec wing and adjustable harness. I will never visit the Titanic and hang bottle after bottle on me so the adj harness works for me. I use a stainless steel plate and take the weight out of my pouches.

Personally, I think Halcyon is good...but way over priced when you can get a full rig from DiveRite for $449. (see www.northeastscubasupply.com).

good luck and let us know how you went
rich

RICHinNC:
What kind of diving are you going to do??
rich

I will do mainly rec diving or surveying of marine protected areas. I may do some cavern diving and will do night diving too.

JL

Something cheap and good.

Hammerhead Al plate, 2pc sta, harness and hardware $127 including shipping.
Oxycheq 30 lbs signature wing $285 give or take the shipping costs
Cam bands, $25-$100 depending on the make of the cam bands.

Cheers,
SangP

Sang, that is exectly what I have. I dove it the first time on sat, I love it.

I use Oxycheq 45#, SS plate, one peice harness and a lightweight STA. I'll probably switch to a heavy STA though.

After looking at other brands I chose Oxycheq because while i was researching I e-mailed the manufacturer and they got back to me within 24 hours and since there was no dealer nearby the suggested some in other countries and also offered to ship directly to me.

Oxycheq also gave a great description of thier product with no pressure.

Other companies either did not reply, tried to use scare tactics to discount other brands or simply told me to find a dealer. None of the other companies were willing to take the time to give me any product information other than what was on thier website.

I am sure that there are some other smaller companies with great service and any company that stands behind thier product would probably be a good choice.

If you want service, I think Oxycheq is a great company to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom