Need answer quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sndt1319

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to get a BP/W from either DiveRite Express or COVCI off the internet (They are both authorized dealers right?). However I am not sure how much lift I need. I will be diving a single tank, in a 7mm FarmerJohn wetsuit, in cold Oregon water. I am 6'4" and weigh 200lbs. Right now all my diving is at rec depths mostly off the beach . I tried to use the search feature and didn't find a direct answer I could use. I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at posts as I am going diving next weekend and would like to get a BC by then if I can. So the question is (DR, Oxycheq) 30# VS 45# (Oxycheq) wings. The DR would be a venture wing and the Oxycheq would be a standard wing with the standard harnesses the price is the same after buying cam bands. If anyone sees a problem with any of this feel free to say something.

Brian

sndt1319:
I decided to get a BP/W from either DiveRite Express or COVCI off the internet (They are both authorized dealers right?). However I am not sure how much lift I need. I will be diving a single tank, in a 7mm FarmerJohn wetsuit, in cold Oregon water. I am 6'4" and weigh 200lbs. Right now all my diving is at rec depths mostly off the beach . I tried to use the search feature and didn't find a direct answer I could use. I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at posts as I am going diving next weekend and would like to get a BC by then if I can. So the question is (DR, Oxycheq) 30# VS 45# (Oxycheq) wings. The DR would be a venture wing and the Oxycheq would be a standard wing with the standard harnesses the price is the same after buying cam bands. If anyone sees a problem with any of this feel free to say something.

Brian

Get the Oxycheq 45# from COVCI. Cam bands suck if they're plastic and aren't much better if SS. ScubaPro makes the best bands for tanks. You might also learn about weighted STA's.

MD

Totally agree with Mech. The OxyCheq 45# wing is awesome! It has almost the same "footprint" as the smaller 36# Halcyon Pioneer and is my new favorite in the singles dive gear.

Just to let you all know I ended up ordering a 40# Eclipse from my LDS. He ended up having the best price for what I wanted and it doesn't need to be shipped. I will be testing it out Memorial day weekend. Thought I would let you know.

And I was going to suggest a FredT XtraLong BP since you mention being 6'4"

Darlene

Will the normal Halcyon plate be uncomfortable for someone as tall as myself? I thought the great thing about the BP/W was that is really adjustable. How much difference will a Tall plate make over a standard plate. Any tall divers have any thoughs on this?

sndt1319:
Will the normal Halcyon plate be uncomfortable for someone as tall as myself? I thought the great thing about the BP/W was that is really adjustable. How much difference will a Tall plate make over a standard plate. Any tall divers have any thoughs on this?

There was a good discusion on the tech board (www.thedecostop.com) about the "One size fits all" approach Not fitting all that many very well.

Most bp's are about 15 to 15.5" long (measured top to bottom down the center) Extra long plates are about 17.5". The differences are twofold. 1) The waistband actually goes around your waist, not your lower ribs constricting your breathing and 2) It sets the tanks down a bit lower on your back so that you can more easily trim properly (not so head heavy)

The idea that one size plate will fit everyone makes as much sense as having the driver's seat in a car bolted in only one position.

Size counts,

Darlene

Now my LDS is offering to do a setup with a used harness and BP. The BP is an Abysmal that has a stealth pack attatched. It would come with a New Ecilpse 40# wing. He said the plate and harness are in good but used shape. He said the stealth pack is faded from pool use and the plate is in great shape. The webbing is still good. Now apparently I will save a bunch of money doing this which is important to me. He had not run the numbers so he couldn't give me a quote so my question is now how much should I look to save over a completely new set-up? What things should I look at on the used equipment? Can you think of any deal killing defects I should look for? How many D-Rings should be on the harness for DIR requirements. Anything else you can think of would be helpful so I can go as informed as possible when I go pick it up on Friday.

sndt1319:
Now my LDS is offering to do a setup with a used harness and BP. The BP is an Abysmal that has a stealth pack attatched. It would come with a New Ecilpse 40# wing. He said the plate and harness are in good but used shape. He said the stealth pack is faded from pool use and the plate is in great shape. The webbing is still good. Now apparently I will save a bunch of money doing this which is important to me. He had not run the numbers so he couldn't give me a quote so my question is now how much should I look to save over a completely new set-up? What things should I look at on the used equipment? Can you think of any deal killing defects I should look for? How many D-Rings should be on the harness for DIR requirements. Anything else you can think of would be helpful so I can go as informed as possible when I go pick it up on Friday.

Are you diving wetsuit or drysuit, is the plate aluminum or s steel. What size and type (al or steel) tank are you using? You need to plan what you get based on what your needs are going to be ........ Not what you happen accross that's cheapest. Is your LDS going to let you try this rig out in the pool before you buy?

Lots to consider,

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom