Need answer quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be diving in a 7mm Farmer John wetsuit, in cold salt water, using AL tanks. When I have the money to get steel tanks or a drysuit I will definately be able to get an Al plate if I need to. But for now I would like a Steel plate so I can take some weight off my belt. I have been using 32# of lead with a jacket BC and the walk up the beach leaves me with bruises.

I recommend the 45# Oxycheq wing. I have one, been using it alot recently, and it works great for me, and I believe for your situation it would work great also.

LUBOLD8431:
I recommend the 45# Oxycheq wing. I have one, been using it alot recently, and it works great for me, and I believe for your situation it would work great also.

Listen to the moose here, lol ... He's got a buttload more cold water diving experience than I do.

But since I'm reasonably familliar with cold water gear setups, ....

Given your height and other considerations (thick wetsuit, aluminum tank, a lot of required weight), I'd opt for a FredT extra long and heavy SST plate. A heavy STA would probably be helpfull for you as well. You'll want to keep some weight on the belt for trimming, but Fred's XL heavy plates are about 10# and a heavy STA would be about 6# more. That would leave you a managable 16# on the belt. Some divers also loose a couple pounds of required weight when they switch to a bp/wing from a jacket bc.

You really don't want to have to buy the same gear twice, so do a lot of homework first and write the checks only once.

Darlene

BTW, Here's the thread on backplates that fit:

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5867

Just to let you all know I ended up getting a new 40# Eclipse wing on a used Abysmal harness and plate. The harness, plate, STA, and a "stealth" pack cost only $52 used. I really didn't have a comfort problem with the plate. I might have it adjusted a little to long in the arms as my tank hit me in the head once when I was head down. But I enjoyed not having my BCD squeeze me and reducing the weight on my belt. The biggest problem I had was how short the inflator hose was. I couldn't operate the deflate button with my left hand. I had to reach over with my right hand to do it. I don't know if it is just from wearing too thick of a glove or what my problem is. I also couldn't find the dump valve string which could also be from gloves that are too thick. I was going to ask the dealer to put a longer inflator hose on when he fixes the SS inflator for the recall, but he didn't seem to think it was a very good idea. Over all I am really happy with price and quality of my purchase. The only down side to the weekend is that I am an Air Hog. My dive buddy (who has 6 more dives than me) used about 700psi less than me on a given dive. I am in good shape and run three times a week but I start breathing fast really easily. When people think I am getting ready to pass out I am breathing "normally" for me. I don't have asthma, ie no attacks ever and no inhaler for anything. I guess I will have to try and search the board for some tips on that. I felt bad ending the dive when he had so much air left.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom