Need fin suggestion - Open back, freediving for Abalone Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5hundo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys. I have a pair of fins that I use for Scuba, and they didn't work very well for Abalone diving last year. I want to get something better for freediving but that I might still be able to use for Scuba. The water will be cold, so I want open back fins to accommodate boots.

Any suggestions?

Most I know use full foot freediving fins and wear a thick neoprene sock. How much you want to spend will dictate how nice they are :D

I was going to try to stay around the $100 mark, if possible. That might not be realistic, if what I'm seeing online is any indicator... :(

Hey guys. I have a pair of fins that I use for Scuba, and they didn't work very well for Abalone diving last year. I want to get something better for freediving but that I might still be able to use for Scuba. The water will be cold, so I want open back fins to accommodate boots.

Any suggestions?

If you MUST have a dive boot, then an open heel fin is what you will need. Open heel fins use a heel strap and buckle that are susceptible to snagging on lines and kelp. A closed heel fin, is much less prone to this issue.

If your desire is to keep your feet warm and use a freedive fin, then you might consider the purchase of 5 mm neoprene SOCKS. The neoprene socks have no thick sole, so they are compatible with a closed heel fin.
MAKO Freedive Socks "Yamamoto"

Possibly that may be an acceptable solution for you. We have many customers who use freedive fins for scuba diving.

For around $100, (actually less than $90) we suggest that you check out this fin:

Competition Freediver Fins

MCFF-2.jpg

Haven't used Mako's myself but haven't heard any complaints. 5hundo- look in to getting a pair of Argos socks/booties. They're super durable compared to freedive socks but they're still warm and softsoled to fit inside full pockets. I love mine but they're actually too thick for me since I have extra wide feet.

I'm currently using a pair of Omer Milleniums in size 44-46 (11-13) when I usually where a 9.5 street shoe, but this is wearing a pair of aqualung socks (3mm I think). Open pocket fins will work, but to me they seem like a much higher chance of snagging on kelp. If you're local to Sac, then definitely go check out the freedive shop. They're great people and can help you find what you need, balancing budget and performance. Also, try googling 'abalone ncuh' or 'abalone ncka' and check those places out. Great people with a wealth of information. Get on it though! Season opener is coming up fast.

PM me if you want more detailed information about a lot of stuff.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom