Need for bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

safyrewulfie

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok I need some advice, suggestions anything. I hate gyms, and I am just now trying to get back in shape after a long bout of sickness and surgery. I miss diving. I need some ideas on home exercise. Poor person so I cant afford a treadmill or such. I dont mind doing sit ups and using my 5 lb weights at home. I need something to focus for a goal. Anyone know of good use at home dvds? I even thought about wearing my weight belt when I mow the yard or just walking around. Use them for leg lifts while folding socks, anything lol. Right now I seem to be having a lot of problems with leg cramps when I mowing or just even walking. The surgery took alot out of me and I really need to get back in shape so I can hit the bubbles. I miss diving. Please help!!

If you want to try something "out of the ordinary", invest in a couple of kettlebells and possible a DVD with appropriate exercises.... also you can find quite a bit online about usage.

Coach Izzy can provide more insight, but thought this might give you something very different than you're probably use to, to think about.

Firstly... make sure you are 100% healed and medically cleared to dive, before returning to the water. Scar tissue and reduced circulation at injury/surgery points can pre-dispose to DCS.

One of the best, and least physically stressful, exercises for weight loss is brisk walking. Start easily, then build up the duration and pace. Set short term goals and once attained, extend those goals. Build walking into your daily routine...opt to walk rather than car or bus wherever possible. Take the stairs, not the elevator.

You didn't mention what the surgery and illness affected, so it is difficult to give specific training advice.

Basically, take it easy...be progressive with your training and avoid, at-all-costs, placing any stress on whatever made you ill/injured before.

It is hard to get fit inside the confines of your house. Get outdoors and get active.

If you want to lose weight - be aware that exercise is the smaller component in the plan. Eating a proper balanced diet, controlling your portion size (which is the prominent cause of weight issues) and ensuring your have the correct intake of vitamins and minerals (will also accelerate your healing) is critical.

The surgery was a total hysterectomy. Laproscopic so I dont have the big tummy scars. But I did take the full 6 months before I even felt somewhat like I did before. So everything is internal scarwise. Dr said I could go back to diving 9 wks after the surgery in Dec! I just looked at her like she had 2 heads. I asked had she ever dove, she said no obviously.

Penny had a partial in Dec 08... and started exercising (CrossFit) lightly after about 8 weeks and was careful to listen to any twinges in her body and abdomen. She can hit it pretty hard with Oly lifts, Kettlebells, GHD crunches/back extensions without any twinges now. Obviously, your body will cooperate at a different rate so adapt your exercise accordingly.... perhaps focusing on more "non-impact/non-bouncing" movements.

Back
Top Bottom