Need help for next dive trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first header image on the AKR website shows the entire beach that's there on the Key. The third image shows the entire resort - including the beach in the lower center of the shot. The dark stuff in the water is reef. If you accidentally get bent, you can't get much closer to the Roatan chamber - it's the dark brown building in the middle of all the boats...:wink: - I was there with a friend once.

Here's what they say about their shore dive - Shore Diving - Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan - Honduras

Here's what a guest said about the same dive - I happen to know him slightly and he's unbiased in other reviews:
We were guests at Anthony's Key last week and we had a wonderful time. I used this site for open water checkouts for a new diver. The reef conditions are fantastic but it's a long hike out. The water is about 1 foot deep for around 100 feet, then it quickly drops to 3 feet deep for another 100 feet but you can snorkel or surface scuba until you get to open water there. Anthony's Key specializes in boat diving and lodging but this site is open nearly every afternoon. The DC3 dive is in the open channel, this site is not. The DC3 dive has very limited visibility while this site has fantastic vis.

If you can do without shore diving, Turquoise Bay resort could be an option. Subway Watersports is on-site and they have a small but decent beach. They do promote it as a cruise excursion however. And provide transportation from the cruise pier. Roatan Beach Resort Amenities | Turquoise Bay Resort It's also a little farther east than you may like from the West End which is where most of the shops/restaurants are.

There is no place mosquito free....
The BVI's...it's too windy there all the time...:wink:

thanks for the help.

looks like it is down to going back to the Brac, Curacoa (been there 4 times) or St.Croix. St. Croix seems to be the frontrunner.

PM DebbyDiver here - she lived on St. Croix for a while. Worked at one of the shops also IIRC.

Why would anyone of you even bother to mention Roatan when one of the major criteria was no to few mosquitos/bugs? What a waste of the OPs time. Don't get me wrong, i love it there but it's the worst place I've ever been for bug bites.

Roatan dive resorts. Coco View has a lot of following on this board but there are many other options for you.
...........lol, he did say "no/few mosquitos"-------but the no see-ums will kill him.......BTW, have they removed the malaria bill board signs they used to have up ---between Coxin Hole & Sandy Bay(about @ the dump on the water side of the road) -----yet???..:)..(true story if you never saw them)....

looks like it is down to going back to the Brac, Curacoa (been there 4 times) or St.Croix. St. Croix seems to be the frontrunner.

Again, what was the issue that drove your wives to refuse to go back to Bonaire? If we knew what that was, it might help determine which of these destinations would be the best fit.

What I read about Cayman Brac puts the diving as a bit behind Little Cayman, which is seen as amongst the best diving in the Caribbean. If this is true, it seems that for diving the Brac would be the place. But I don't hear people talking it up as a destination for non-divers. And you've already been to Curacao 4 times.

Richard.

Been to Bonaire 8 times. Unless they get in your room for the night, the main issue is eating out in the evening, when they may attack, although the extent of this problem varies over time, and a good bug spray can largely make it a minor issue.

I wonder if they didn't use bug spray, are unusually sensitive to bites, or just hit the island during a particularly bad time?

Wonder how Curacao compares to Bonaire on average in terms of mosquitos? The 2 are often compared, and that's one metric I've never seen applied.

Richard.

could have been any or all of those things but they ain't going back.:idk:

I guess you might as well resign yourself to Hawaii then. I've not been to every island in the Caribbean but of those I've been to, I've been bit, sometimes more, sometimes less; often seems to depend on wind direction, whether or not it has been raining and such. Going out at dawn and dusk is a very ripe time for bites.

Dengue and Chikengunya are carried by the same mosquito, which are day feeders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom