Need help for next dive trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify when you say wives wont go back because of mosquitoes was this an experience shared by all of your wives or were some of the wives being attached more than others?

But my vote is for Cayman Brac

Every time we go to Bonaire we see mosquitos everywhere. Have to even use bug spray at night or they get us. Huge ones, too! Every night we would walk around our room and kill them before bed but always woke up with at least 1 bite from during the night. And don't even go out to eat at night without bug spray coating your legs. They get under the tables and eat you alive.

Roatan we always use Cactus Juice for the noseums and never have a problem. One or two bites, gone in a day, nothing bad. Mosquitos we only saw at dusk and used a bit of spray on our legs, no bites.

So from MY experience, Bonaire was much worse for bugs especially mosquitoes!

So from MY experience, Bonaire was much worse for bugs especially mosquitoes!

Thank You!!! man you can't say a word about Bonaire on this forum without having to defend yourself. Thanks for everyone that gave a real option. I've been to Curacao, Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac (multiple times on the first two) and while there are mosquitos they are not as bad as what was experienced on Bonaire. Sorry.

Lot's of sensible advice in here - I'll add one that often flies under the radar: Turks & Caicos.

Very good diving combined with pretty nice hotels.

As various people have said - nowhere is mosquito free in the Caribbean, but Turks is better, and relatively affordable.

Lot's of sensible advice in here - I'll add one that often flies under the radar: Turks & Caicos.

Very good diving combined with pretty nice hotels.
except one of their original criteria was "mostly shore diving"

man you can't say a word about Bonaire on this forum without having to defend yourself.

Yes! You have besmirched the good name of Bonaire & must pay!!!

Heh. Actually, I try to get at the root issue with some of these threads because you, or someone in a similar boat using your thread for reference, may benefit. Think about it; if the wives didn't like Bonaire due to lack of shopping & civilization, for example, what would they think of Cayman Brac? And as others have pointed out, in Roatan, there are things other than mosquitos that bite.

Richard.

BUDMAN--I've forgotten now a lot(most) of what your requirements are -----------but -------you & you're crew are invited to join the wife & I--& our 40 YO daughter & SIL---on Rangiroa in mid May(May 10 thru the 19th).......None of us have ever been but all are willing to take the chance(bug wise etc etc) on this one-------From what I've read---& seen @ various sites--this is gunna scratch one off my bucket list......

--AND------ 'll say it (again---& also)----Bonaire in my book is way overrated......We went end of summer of '13 & that'll be the 1st & last trip there...:)..We also just got back from Brac(end of Oct '14) & in 12 dives(ONLY) 'came out with' over 600 pics that I uploaded to my Flickr site..On Bonaire in summer of '13, in 15(or 16--can't remember which it was)dives, I came out with a little over 170 pics uploaded to my Flickr site.......I think all you need to do is add 2 & 2 & easily come up with 4......

In my experience not as bad. But you still find them under tables etc. There's one area near Westpunt where you drive thru some low hanging trees and swarms of them suicide on the windshield at night. We rolled the windows up thru there.

I don't actually remember any at the dive sites but we did get pretty bit up one night at a beach restaurant in town.

A friend was bitten by another bug - it stung enough to make her jump out of the chair she was lazing in on the beach. We never saw what it was. That night it required a trip to the E/R for an anti-histamine injection. The ambulance attendant had a name for the bug - she'd seen the symptoms before.

Do the ladies dive? If so, why not a liveaboard? I know it's not shore diving but heck, bugs are verrrry rare.. :)

Of course, variety for bars shopping restaurants missing but instills feelings of self-indulgence none the less. :wink:

Just kidding. Probably not what you're after.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom