need new regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to buy a new set of regulators. I need a first stage, a primary and an octopus and I was wondering if anyone would recomend a certain brand

That question will open a huge can of worms. If you do a search of the subject you'll find many threads on the subject.

My personal recommendation is an environmentally sealed first stage to prevent contamination and freeze up. I also recommend a second stage that has an anti-freeze device such as a heat sync.

I use the Zeagle DSIV (now known as the DSV) and ZX second stage on both the primary and OCTO.

Brian:

I just started researching this myself as well. The amount of information out there is overwheling, and I found it hard to seperate the good information from the BS in the sales brochures.

I got a lot of good advice here. Plus, there is one bit of advice someone mentioned to me that made a lot of sense. If you know any instructors, ask them what they, and other instructors they know, use. I figure that they probably use lots of different equipment (at least experienced instructors), and have probably done a lot of the research already, so should be a good resource for information.

I asked my LDS, and they gave me good information, but of course, want me to buy the line they represent. I just wanted a more unbiased opinion. One other thing to consider...where will you get it serviced when it needs it? But maybe that goes w/o saying...if you buy through your LDS, they can probably service it...if you buy somewhere else, then you may be sending it out to have it serviced.

John

Best advice - ask the pros who dive in the area where you will be diving. The demands of year-round diving up here in Canada (where the top of the water gets awfully hard for several months of the year) would be different from the occasional, tropical diver.

Everyone can chime in with their own personal favourites (I currently use Mares and Poseidon regulators, but have used ScubaPro, Apex, US Divers, Tusa, Genesis, and OMS), but the ultimate choice is yours - make it an informed one. Read reviews - see Scuba Diving Magazine for reviews on most recreational level regulators.

When you have found a few brands/makes that will suit your needs, make sure you find a reliable local dive shop that can provide trained service. It can be frustrating when you need parts or service that is not readily and reliably available locally.

After you buy your new regulators, get out and use them! Cheers!

Just about all of the big names in Scuba make good regulators, Mares, Oceanic, Atomic, Apeks, Aqua Lung, Sherwood, Scuba Pro all make good stuff. One important consideration is that you are able to get it serviced in the area where you live. An off brand reg may be cheap but if you have to send it away to get it serviced the savings gets eaten up pretty quick.

Brian (Auburn):
I was wondering if anyone would recomend a certain brand

generally speaking, top-notch regulators are Apeks, Zeagle, Scubapro, Poseidon and Atomic

for bang for the buck, Apeks, Zeagle, and Scubapro are the best.

i would buy one of these regulators that is sold and serviced near you. call your
local shops to see what they carry, then shop around on the internet, and
ask your local shop to match prices or come close.

i've heard very good things about Salvo regulators. they are basically
Apeks clones:

http://www.salvodiving.com/regs__gauges__hoses

big difference between diving up north or in the Gulf of mexico or carribbean as previously stated. Most important is can your equipment be serviced locally.

I can feel it brewing the great Apeks vs. Scubapro debate. The most unstopable force in the universe:).
Just kidding.

Apeks atx50 is my personal choice. Aqualung also makes some great regs.

Word of caution about asking instructors which reg they use. First, they get a pretty good discount from the shop they work for, therefore they will use what the shop sells. Also, some shops require their DMs and instructors to use the gear the shop sells, again, a lopsided opinion in my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom