Need some advice about transitioning to tech.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah. I have the lowly electronic membership. :D

Even with electronic membership, I think that you have access to videos under the "Membership Benefits" section once you've logged in. I'm just not sure what videos you may or may not have access to.

Pangaman, if there are things at technical depths or under overhead that you want to see, more power to you. Andy was just concerned, as his experience as a technical instructor has led him to be, and as my experience in counseling and observing various people has led ME to be, that someone who simply has "tech diving" as a goal, may not have the mindset to do it, and may not make wise use of the skills.

I learned to cave dive because I simply couldn't imagine not doing it. I have friends who feel the same way about shipwrecks. If your passion leads you there, you need the training to do it safely, and you sound like someone who can take a rational road to your goal. It does NOT sound, right now, as though you are ideally situated to pursue deep wreck diving, either in your current location, or where you are going to be for the next few years. But there is no reason not to take Fundies, or an Intro to Tech class, and get introduced to the skills you are going to need.

Edited to add: Access to videos with electronic membership is limited to some trailers. All the training videos require higher level access.

I took Fundies at 60 dives, in 2005; it was fall of 2007 before I did cavern. The skills I was introduced to (and came nowhere near learning!) in Fundies made all my subsequent diving more relaxed and more fun. If you spend a few years in St. Lucia, diving reefs, Fundies-type skills will simply enhance the experience, and the experience you get will hone those skills, if you remain mindful of your training. Then, when you relocate to somewhere where those technical-depth objectives are within reach, you will have a really solid basis of skills and in-water experience on which to build.

Andy- There are my goals, would love some advice on where to start and how to get to my end result.

As Lynne alluded to, my post wasn't intended to be negative.... it's just that "I want to be a tech diver" is really quite vague!

An interest in deeper wrecks, now that is something I can get excited about! :cool2:

I too have plans to visit both Truk and the Solomans to do some deep, cool wrecks soon.... how can photos like this not be inspirational??

26470_385007831804_716966804_4320814_1643656_n.jpg

So the question is, what skills or knowledge would you need to do those dives??

For me, I have a personal depth limit for penetration dives of and END (equivalent narcotic depth) of 35m.... so for some of the wrecks at Truk, you will definitely be breathing trimix. Because of the depth of some of the wrecks, you are also going to need a lot of gas - so you need to be adept at managing stage tanks. You also don't want to spend hours doing deco on back gas, so you need some knowledge of rich O2 mixes.... and the skills of carrying and using at least one deco tank in addition to your stage tank.

There are plenty of course options to learn these things - I am a TDI instructor, and TDI offer Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures and a Normoxic Trimix course that should give you those skills. But one of the problems with TDI courses is that they are jam packed - just getting through the skills in a typical course timescale is hard, getting any finesse is even harder.

I much prefer teaching Deco Procedures to someone who has done GUE Fundies. There are so many things in the Deco Procedures course that can be superficially dealt with because they will have already been mastered by a Fundies graduate. It just means that I can focus on extending a diver, rather than teaching them basics. Part of the problem is that if someone comes into DP, there is a lot of change at once.... changes in kit, changes in emphasis on buoyancy control, new skills. Doing Fundies will allow you to break that transition up into smaller manageable chunks.

The problem now is that to get to the end goal of being trimix trained and having the skills to manage multiple stage bottles.... is that there is an extra course in their. So my suggestion would be to skip courses like TDI Deco Procedures (or the many equivalents) and just do a normoxic trimix course as your first real tech course. GUE Tech 1 is a fabulous course - I did 16 dives on my T1 course (a total of 22 if you include Fundies), where as if you go the TDI classes you could generally get 10 training dives to get to normoxic trimix. More dives = more time in the water = more feedback = better skills.

The only drawback of Tech 1 is that it is a single deco tank course, whereas the TDI course teaches you how to manage two. Realistically, though, with a bit of experience you can extend what you learn in Tech 1 and apply that to two stage/deco tanks.

Pretty much all that Tech 1 (or alternative) prepares you for is to do a deep dive, and ascend safely - but in a way that you know that you can manage problems during that ascent. As they say, diving deep is easy.... it's the coming back that is hard! But it will give you no wreck specific skills.

Wreck diving isn't quite as formalised or consistent as cave diving. You really have to hunt around and find a good wreck instructor - some completely eschew line use, relying instead on teaching progressive penetration techniques. Others teach just the line and only the line. Personally, I feel that a combination of the mental mapping and situational awareness skills that you gain from progressive penetration *combined* with the use of a line is the most appropriate way to dive a wreck. But whilst you are guaranteed an awesome instructor for GUE Fundies & Tech 1, doing basic wreck from any agency and the available advanced wreck courses (e.g. TDI) is a lot more pot luck. But a decent wreck course should teach you about the protocols of surveying wrecks in order to determine a safe entry point, how to manage your penetration and how to respond if something went wrong - along with a healthy dose of understanding what can go wrong and what the hazards of diving wrecks are.

Some people advocate cave diving courses to gain some of these skills - that is certainly an option, particularly given your proximity to Florida. But there are some subtle dangers in that approach - wrecks are very, very different from caves. But you will pick up some skills that are useful.

There are a couple of important things to remember:

1. Take your time - rushing through loads of courses is not a recipe for success! Let everything you learn on a course consolidate to the point where it becomes second nature before moving on.

2. Go diving - courses all day make Jack a dull boy, and will probably remove some of your passion for diving.

3. Go diving - and do the diving that is exciting! Yes, the deep wrecks of the Solomans and Truk are great, but that doesn't mean that shallow wrecks are no fun! Practising wreck skills separately from deep skills is always a good idea, do deco dives that don't involve wrecks until you've got the process of doing them safely nailed. Do wreck dives shallow until you've got the penetration skills nailed.

4. Know your limits - and more importantly, know when you are nearing them as opposed to passing them! Don't get aggressive with your diving too soon.

5. Know the risks - and decide whether you are prepared to accept them. It is almost inevitable that you will be involved in some form of DCS incident, whether it's you or someone you are with. You may not even realise when you do get bent - those little niggles, feeling tired, slightly itchy.... relate those post-dive feelings to the dives you are doing to help you determine your limits.

6. Go diving..... always go diving, it's no good learning the skills. You need to keep them fresh as well.

Good luck! Feel free to ping any questions to me in a PM.

Even with electronic membership, I think that you have access to videos under the "Membership Benefits" section once you've logged in. I'm just not sure what videos you may or may not have access to.

Ah.

I have access to WKPP Exploration DVD - Bonus Material and Quest Videos, but not training.

Thanks!

The thing I hate the most is if you get a wreck at 110 my no deco is 20 minutes on 32%. If I travel half way around the world to go to an unbelievable site i want to be able to enjoy it for longer than 20 minutes at a time.

Sure you can stay longer than 20mins at 100-110.

But realize that once you start talking something like 200ft your 20mins of bottom time will equal about 48mins of ascent. So you may very well still travel half way around the world for 20mins of BT to have 100min dives with 80 of those mins hanging around mid-water seeing a jellyfish or two. Deco time is an exponential phenomenon and in order to bring enough gas and not have the sea state change too dramatically your BTs will become increasingly shorter as the dives get deeper.

Dilemma #2, In 3 months I will be moving to St. Lucia. Despite talking to every dive shop there nobody does tech diving :idk: all they are concerned with is taking cattle boats to the reef. Even though I enjoy just being underwater its not moving me towards my goal. Aside from general underwater experience.

Plenty of good advice on this thread, but I'll just toss in some stuff about St Lucia.

Plenty of opportunity to go deep in St Lucia - places like Superman's Flight the wall extends down to over 1,000 feet. Plus you are only a short ferry ride from Martinique where there is some superb deep wreck diving. But there are no tec diving facilities in St Lucia.

The position is not dissimilar to my own in the BVI (no tec diving facilities). What I did was flew somewhere where I could get sensible training for tec diving, and then purchased and assembled my own doubles. It is not ideal - I am sure I would be a better deep diver if I dived with more experienced buddies who I could learn from, but you do what you can.

Places which teach tec diving are acutally quite limited in the Caribbean. Unless you fly to the US, you pretty much have to go either Bonaire, Dominican Republic, Cayman or (provided you speak Spanish) Puerto Rico or (if you speak French) Martinique. There is also an outfit in St Thomas which teaches tec diving, but it looks pretty small scale to me, and wouldn't be my first choice.

Hope that helps.

Pirate copies are not very hard to source on the internet. Allegedly.

Wait... you're saying the internet can be used for illicit purposes? :no:

how can photos like this not be inspirational??

26470_385007831804_716966804_4320814_1643656_n.jpg

Water that warm (shorty, rash guard, and a three-bottle dive) is inspirational !

Wait... you're saying the internet can be used for illicit purposes? :no:

So it seems. Who knew?

Back
Top Bottom