Need suggestions for Phillipine dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eilandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I would like to dive somewhere in the Phillipines this October - November. We are looking for some great diving in an area that is not overly developed. We prefer a quite setting without nightlife. Areas that have been of interest to us include Malapascua, Dauin and Apo Island. We are not wild about diving with a lot of current and much prefer sloping reefs vs wall diving. Any suggestions for dive destinations and dive resorts that we might consider.

Dauin and Apo Island has what you describe "some great diving in an area that is not overly developed. We prefer a quite setting without nightlife." Though Apo Island has current in some of the sites (hello Coconut point). Maybe you can ask the DMs if it's possible to time it.

There's also Sogod Bay, Leyte.

I second Sogod Bay (Scuba Resort). :wink: Of the 5 places I visited during my trip to the PI earlier this year, Sogod Bay was by far my favourite destination. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

tubbataha reef is quite nice. just google it, I cant post the link since I am a newbie., it is accessed from Palawan which is like the last rainforest frontier of the phillipines.
If whale sharks and Mantas are what you are after then try ticao island.

Also have a look at Camiguin Island. This is one of the destinations featured in the WOW tourism campaign in the Philippines:

WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Things to Do

It however still remains a very unspoiled and quiet island with a relaxed atmosphere. If you would like an active vacation (diving, mountainbiking, trekking, climbing a volcano, swim in hot water springs, ...) in a small area, Camiguin is a place you should consider. The majority of the diving is very relaxed with little current along slopes.

Also have a look at:

Camiguin Island, Philippines -- Come as you are.

Areas which are not over developed are rare...
but I can suggest you try Antique's unspoiled dive spots with very comfortable accommodations...
just a 50 min rides from airports Catiklan or Kalibo...and you discovered already
a hidden paradise...
more to see is the preserved natural rain forest at the northwest Peninsula, rivers, waterfalls, caves and a some remote islands, where your diving is full of impressions.

cheers
antiquediver

My husband and I would like to dive somewhere in the Phillipines this October - November. We are looking for some great diving in an area that is not overly developed. We prefer a quite setting without nightlife. Areas that have been of interest to us include Malapascua, Dauin and Apo Island. We are not wild about diving with a lot of current and much prefer sloping reefs vs wall diving. Any suggestions for dive destinations and dive resorts that we might consider.

I would heartily recommend Malapascua (Thresher Shark Divers) and Apo Island (Liberty Lodge and Paul's Diving) although Malapascua may be on the higher development side for you. I've been to both destination multiple times and just got back a month ago after putting both together in the same trip. You can dive Apo from the island or Dumaguette. I prefer staying on the island as the night dives there are fantastic - lots of eels. Malapascua has a variety of dives that you can choose from. The Oct-Nov time is towards the end of the typhoon season at most you may have some windy choppy sea days from weather spinning off a storm usually further north. Usually weather might keep dive boats from going out or transfers from island to island.

Apo has a couple of site that are very current sensitive -1. Coconut 2. Cogon. They will only dive Coconut if the current isn't too stiff and if you don't want to just don't dive that site. I would still recommend Cogon because of the school of jacks - I just love schools of silver fish. There are some great dives on the south end of Apo that really don't have much current at all. Electricity is not available during more hours of the day but is still off for the night.

Another destination that sounds more remote and undeveloped is General Santos but I haven't been there yet myself - maybe next trip.

Tubbataha Reef is only by live aboard from March to May due to the calm weather that time of year.

I'll have to tell us more about what kind of dives you like for more. What kind of critters do you like?

One place that hasn't been mentioned but is high on my list... Cabilao Island... Depending on how much time you plan on spending in the Philippines, you could easily do Alona Beach/ Balicasag Island, Cabilao (not that far from Alona), then down to Dumaguete/ Apo Island. Or switch out one of the above with Malapascua.

One place that hasn't been mentioned but is high on my list... Cabilao Island... Depending on how much time you plan on spending in the Philippines, you could easily do Alona Beach/ Balicasag Island, Cabilao (not that far from Alona), then down to Dumaguete/ Apo Island. Or switch out one of the above with Malapascua.

Thought about that Pak, and it's a great reco. Wasn't sure about the wall diving though, but I could do the majority of dives at the light house (slope diving) and be satisfied.

Cabilao is a macro paradise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom